Ranorex not allowing program to close

Ask general questions here.
tallahassee101

Ranorex not allowing program to close

Post by tallahassee101 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi,

I am having a problem with ranorex not allowing our software to close out completely. When closing the application, the process continues to hang around and we are forced to use a TASKKILL from the command line to get it to kill the process. We have a lot of things that are saved when the program is closed so we need to test what happens when the program is shutdown.
In addition if the process is not killed when the software is started a second process of the software is created which has problems matching several of the ranorex paths that work with our software when only 1 process is running.

My question is if there is any graceful way to unhook whatever ranorex is hooking to keep the process around? Killing the process seems like a hack way to go about solving this issue.

Thank you

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ranorex not allowing program to close

Post by Support Team » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Hello,

are you testing a .NET application?
How are you closing the application? By clicking on the close button on the top right?

Which Ranorex Version do you use?

Regards,
Roland
Ranorex Support Team

tallahassee101

Post by tallahassee101 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Im using Ranorex 2.3.8 the newest version. I've tried doing our File->Exit and clicking the Exit button. We do use some .Net Functionality.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 pm

I've found this
64bit related issue.

Do you use Windows 7 64 bit?

Regards,
Roland
Ranorex Support Team

tallahassee101

Post by tallahassee101 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:18 pm

Yes we use Windows 7, but are noticing the same issues when testing our tool in Windows XP. On Windows 7 in the task manager the application is marked with a "*32". I'm not sure how the 64 bit issue relates to not being able to stop the process though....

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 pm

tallahassee101 wrote:My question is if there is any graceful way to unhook whatever ranorex is hooking to keep the process around?
Ranorex does not intentionally "hook" anything into another process to keep it alive. However, Ranorex uses common interfaces like COM and MSAA to interact with UIs in other processes and consequently depends on those interfaces being correctly implemented by the target application.

Is the automating Ranorex program correctly closing when "the process continues to hang around" after you close your application? Or does it also keep alive?

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

tallahassee101

Post by tallahassee101 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Thank you for the follow up help through the email. It does appear to be due to an MSAA implementation of our software.