3.3.1 Exception when attempting to build solution

Bug reports.
krstcs
Ranorex Guru

3.3.1 Exception when attempting to build solution

Post by krstcs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

I receive the following exception when attempting to build a solution.

Code: Select all

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Boolean Debugger.DebuggerObject.Ping()'.
---STACKTRACE---
System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Boolean Debugger.DebuggerObject.Ping()'.
  ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Services.WindowsDebugger.get_ServiceInitialized()+0xffffffff
  ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Services.WindowsDebugger.get_IsDebugging()+0x0
I was attempting to validate functionality of a subset of test cases in 3.3.1.
In the Test Suite I deselected some dependent cases and selected the cases I was trying to validate.
Upon attempting to build the solution I received the error above and now I cannot rebuild the solution from the running instance of Ranorex. The Test Suite file was also still marked as unsaved.

It appears this is an issue with the SAVE functionality, as when I then attempted to re-start Ranorex Studio it threw the same exception.

After cancelling the save, it then threw the following exception and would not close the process. I had to KILL the process from Task Manager.

Code: Select all

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
---STACKTRACE---
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Gui.SdiWorkbenchLayout.Detach()+0x18
  ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Gui.DefaultWorkbench.OnClosing(CancelEventArgs e)+0x70
  System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)+0x117
  System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)+0x1b5
  System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)+0x0
  System.Windows.Forms.Control+ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)+0x8e
  System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd,Int32 msg,IntPtr wparam,IntPtr lparam)+0x25
Shortcuts usually aren't...

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: 3.3.1 Exception when attempting to build solution

Post by krstcs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:24 pm

After restarting, I get the first exception any time I attempt to build or run the solution.

I restarted AGAIN, and now, even when I don't open a solution, I get BOTH exceptions when attempting to close Ranorex Studio.

The RXTST WAS saved earlier, even though it wasn't showing it. It came up in the changed configuration upon reload.

However, this error is completely stopping testing at this point. I cannot run/build any tests.

I am currently uninstalling and re-installing completely. (Previously I had just done an in-place upgrade from 3.3 to 3.3.1 by installing over the old install.) I will update with status when complete.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:34 pm

After doing a full-clean uninstall and re-install it seems to be working correctly.

It appears this was an issue of installing over the existing install.

I have not seen this issue in the past, with 3.2.2 to 3.2.3.

I did a full-clean uninstall and re-install when I moved from 3.2.3 to 3.3, so I cannot say if the issue started there.

If there is a known issue with installing over an existing installation, I would suggest forcing the user to uninstall the existing system before allowing an upgrade, or force each version to use different folders/registry entries (I would like to have the ability to have multiple versions available at the same time).

I do recommend adding a warning on the download page stating that there may be unknown side-effects if old versions are not uninstalled prior to installing the newer version.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

krstcs wrote:If there is a known issue with installing over an existing installation
There are no known issues when doing an in-place upgrade.

Actually, an in-place update is the recommended way and should not cause such an issue. I can only guess that some of the Ranorex Studio files were locked and could not be correctly replaced. This should actually cause the MSI (Microsoft Installer) to fail, but MSI is known to be a bit buggy :?

I'm glad you could fix this issue by reinstalling!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team