6.0.2 - Silent update is no longer silent

Bug reports.
krstcs

6.0.2 - Silent update is no longer silent

Post by krstcs » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:23 pm

Updating on my VMs requires a silent install in order for me not to have to do it on every VM manually, which is a SIGNIFICANT amount of time wasted.

However, this update now installs the C++ 2015 redist, which requires me to now log in to EVERY VM MANUALLY and finish an install that SHOULD HAVE BEEN SILENT.

This is causing me some serious issues because I have other things that I need to be doing besides baby-sitting what was supposed to be a silent installation.

Edit: adding the command-line I've been using for 2 years: "Ranorex-x.y.z.exe /passive"
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 6.0.2 - Silent update is no longer silent

Post by Support Team » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm sorry that this is causing you troubles, but a silent installation of the prerequisites needed for the Ranorex installation was never supported (due to legal limitations). The way you installed Ranorex passively just worked, because the prerequisites did not change in a while. See the corresponding section in the user guide:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... norex.html

You can however install the C++ 2015 redist passively by unzipping the Ranorex installation package and explicitly running the "vcredist_x86.exe" file in the "vcredist_x86_14_Ranorex" folder using the "/passive" flag.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:26 pm

But with 6.0.0 and 6.0.1, where .NET 4.5 was installed, it did not popup anything on my Windows 7 systems that did not have 4.5 already installed. The installation was silent.

If it is a legal requirement then that is fine, but it seems to be inconsistently applied, and there is no notice beforehand that this will be the case.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to note on the download page when an installation will require manual input?
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:27 pm

With 6.0.2 we needed to introduce a new prerequisite, the C++ 2015 Runtime, because of fixes to iOS. The prerequisite only needs to be installed one time (and will not be uninstalled automatically). So the next time you install Ranorex, the installation will be silent again.

Like I said before, the only reason your installation was silent until now was that the prerequisites only need to be installed one time and did not change for quite some time.
krstcs wrote:Perhaps it would be a good idea to note on the download page when an installation will require manual input?
Well, we can't, because we don't know which prerequisites you have installed. As stated in the user guide, the installation will be silent if (and only if) all prerequisites are already installed. If you install on a fresh machine or remove prerequisites manually, every setup (with the *.exe, not with the *.msi) will require manual interaction.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team