6.1.0 Recorded module with mult-iline comments build error

Bug reports.
Vaughan.Douglas

6.1.0 Recorded module with mult-iline comments build error

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:06 pm

I'm testing out Ranorex 6.1 before we start upgrading our solutions and I've run across an issue.

We are currently using Ranorex 6.0.1
I have a recorded module with a user code step. This step has comments in the comments column.
RM_w_Comments.png
Step one and step 3 both have comments, however the comments in step 3 have CrLf intermixed. How my user managed to get them in there is beside the point, I think they must have written them out in a text editor and pasted them into the comments line.

Anyway, when built in Ranorex 6.0.1 everything is just fine:
good.png
However when the same code gets built in Ranorex 6.1.0 the first line is commented but the rest are not which causes build errors.
LessGood.png
I've tried several different things and the only work around I can come up with is to just remove the CrLf which isn't really a problem. However since this DID work in 6.0.1 and is broken in 6.1.0 I thought it was worth reporting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Vaughan

Vaughan.Douglas

Re: 6.1.0 Recorded module with mult-iline comments build error

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Moments after submitting this I thought of one other way my user could have gotten those CrLf characters in their comments. and I figured it out.
EnteringComments.png
You can enter multi-line comments in the properties window.

What I also found is that if I edit those comments in Ranorex 6.1.0 and rebuild it, the comments appear as expected without build errors.

So this remains an issue, but the work around is to just edit the comments in Ranorex 6.1.0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug Vaughan

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Hello Vaughan.Douglas,

Thank you for reporting the issue. I have never heard about that before. I tried to reproduce the behavior, but in my case the comments are correct after upgrading from 6.0.1 to 6.1.
It seems to be a special issue maybe only in your solution? Do you also see the issue when adding new comments in 6.1 solution?

Regards,
Bernhard

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:43 pm

When I get a moment, I'll try to recreate the issue from scratch. I've run it through the update several times and this issue appears to be consistent. I'll see if I can get it recreated elsewhere.
Doug Vaughan

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:14 pm

I've managed to recreate the issue from scratch and have included it in the attached ZIP.

I created the initial solution in VB .net and converted it to C# just to see if it was language specific. It does not appear to be language specific.

Adding new multi-line comments in Ranorex 6.1 appear to work as expected in either language as well.
TestingCommentConversion.zip
Doug Vaughan

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello Vaughan,

Thank you for uploading the solution.

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how the issue can be reproduced. When opening up your solution with Ranorex 6.1.1, everything works as expected.
TestingCommentConversion.png
Maybe I missed something?

Sincerely,
Robert

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:34 pm

Support Team wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how the issue can be reproduced. When opening up your solution with Ranorex 6.1.1, everything works as expected.
Did you build the solution or just open it? It looks like you did run the build on it, but I just wanted to double check.

I've upgraded my test machine to Ranorex 6.1.1 and confirmed the issue on my side. I won't claim to be an expert on anything, but it seems like there must be a difference in environments that underlays this issue. Could the version of .Net be a cause? For example, on my test machine I ONLY have .NET Framework 4.6.1 installed whereas on my main machine I've got any number of versions between 4.5 - 4.6.1 installed including SDKs, Targeting Packs, and Targeting Pack (ENU)s what ever those are.
Doug Vaughan

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Hello,

I did just open the solution on several machines but couldn't see the mentioned behavior.

As for the .NET framework:

In general, the .NET framework 4.6.1 is an in-place update to 4.5, so this should not cause any issues. However, I still would recommend installing .NET framework 4 extended or .NET framework 4.5, before installing Ranorex. This did indeed solve some weird issues, which weren't really reproducible.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Robert

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Support Team wrote:I did just open the solution on several machines but couldn't see the mentioned behavior.
Please try building the solution. it seems that it loads just fine, but throws errors on build.
Doug Vaughan

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Hello,

I'm afraid that even rebuilding doesn't cause the issue on our machines. Tried various combinations.

Unfortunately, we can't do much on our side if the issue isn't reproducible. Also, I hope that this behavior doesn't cause too much trouble on your side.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Robert

Vaughan.Douglas

Post by Vaughan.Douglas » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:06 pm

I think this is something that is specific to the environment on that test machine. I've tried installing various targeting frameworks and targeting the solution itself to different frameworks. At the end of the day the problem persists. Fortunately I'm not encountering any of the same issues on my windows 10 test machine, so I'm just going to move on.

Thanks for looking into this!
Doug Vaughan