About Runtime license and Ranorex 6.0 remote Agents

Ask general questions here.
Broadnick
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

About Runtime license and Ranorex 6.0 remote Agents

Post by Broadnick » Wed May 25, 2016 5:29 pm

We have only one floating runtime license.

If I try to initialize two agents simultaneously on two remote machines, the first agent starts correctly, but for the second agent, I receive a message that another runtime license is required.

The runtime license is a "floating license", so why the two agents should not share the same license and use it only when a task is executed ? Can I do something about that?

Otherwise, it seems to me that this runtime license then become a fixed license...

krstcs

Re: About Runtime license and Ranorex 6.0 remote Agents

Post by krstcs » Wed May 25, 2016 5:35 pm

There are already a couple of threads about this topic, please search first before posting so you can make sure not to duplicate.

EACH instance of the agent requires ONE license, floating or node-locked.

I don't agree with this, but it is how they did it, and yes, that means that with only 1 available license, you will not be able to run more than one agent.

And, from what I understand, not only does the agent require a license, but the test being run ALSO requires a license, so you would actually need 2 licenses to run tests on an agent, so with only 1 license, you aren't going to be able to use the agent at all.

This could be wrong, but it is how I understand some of the statements from the Ranorex team and other users in the other threads.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Broadnick
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by Broadnick » Wed May 25, 2016 5:54 pm

I hope they will rethink this feature because with this approach, the remote agents are effectively useless for us.

Thanks for information. And yes, I will better check other threads in the future... :)

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Thank you both for your feedback! For now, I can just assure you that your input is heard and that we are regularly discussing our licensing models.

And just for clarification:
The Remote Agent requires a floating license (no node-locked license) as soon as being started.
A single floating license is enough to run the Remote Agent and execute tests (per logon session on a machine).

http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... e-faq.html

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu May 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks Alex, that makes more sense. Something was said in another thread that made it sound like they were independent.

And thanks for looking into all of this!
Shortcuts usually aren't...