Adapter for Unreal Engine 4

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
oliver_zx

Adapter for Unreal Engine 4

Post by oliver_zx » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Hey,

I'm looking for an adapter to use Ranorex with Unreal Engine 4. Technology wise that would be Slate/UMG running in a WinForms container and maybe even Scaleform on top.

Is that something you maybe already started looking into ?

Are customers even able to create own adapters ? I searched for a while but didn't found any adapter SDK or so. Seems all the plugin APIs (the .NET extension assemblies) are signed/written by you ?! What would I need in order to create my own adapters ?

Thank you,
Oliver

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Adapter for Unreal Engine 4

Post by odklizec » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid, it's not possible to write custom Ranorex plugins. It was discussed multiple times in the past, but nothing materialized yet and I believe the last answer from support regarding this matter was that it would be too difficult for customers to write their own plugins. Not to mention there is no public API for this ;)

However, it could be possible to extend your app (its 3D view) with accessibility support, so then it may be possible to track the individual elements in Unreal view. At least we were able to achieve something similar with Dassault's Catia 3D view in my previous work. Check this post for some links and hints...
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/ranorex-fo ... tml#p37037
Last edited by odklizec on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

oliver_zx

Post by oliver_zx » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks Pavel for the reply. I'll check it out...

oliver_zx

Post by oliver_zx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 am

Hey,

so we made some progress using Accessibility. Yet the calls to the IAccessible functions are being made very slowly. There is just too many time between the different calls. Hence the UI element traversal (i.e. for finding UI objects, iterating clients etc) and querying by Ranorex is quite slow.

Is that something you're aware of ? Something we can do to speed that up ?

Thank you,
Oliver

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:56 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, I can't answer that. I remember the accessibility implementation in Catia was not the speediest thing, but it was not awfully slow either. So unless it's not absolutely useless, I would suggest to ignore it, as long as it's stable? Stability and consistency is much more in test automation than speed ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration