Adding module group to test case doesn't perform data binding unless project is built

Bug reports.
rshankar

Adding module group to test case doesn't perform data binding unless project is built

Post by rshankar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Ranorex Studio version used: 8.3.2

I don't think it is specific to my project/solution hence not attaching a Ranorex snapshot.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Right click on a Test case in a project
2. Select 'Add'
3. Select 'Existing Module'
4. Select a Module Group which has at least one variable (without a default value) to bind

Expected result:
'Unbound variable' is shown under the 'Data binding / iterations' section for the newly added Module Group since we haven't assigned any value to the variable

Actual result:
No 'Unbound variable' text is displayed unless I choose the Build the Solution.

Notes:
I think this applies to the other case where a default value is assigned for the variable in any module under the Module group.

qwertzu

Re: Adding module group to test case doesn't perform data binding unless project is built

Post by qwertzu » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 pm

hi rshankar,

within the module group, you have to bind the variables of your modules to Group variables.
Group_Variable.png
All in all, your variable is bound to a module group variable and your module group variable can afterwards be bound to a test case parameter or data connector.

regards, qwertzu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rshankar

Re: Adding module group to test case doesn't perform data binding unless project is built

Post by rshankar » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi qwertzu,

Thanks for your response. Maybe my description of the bug wasn't clear enough. I understand how the variable binding works within modules and test cases.

As it can be seen below,
ranorex_messages_appears_after_build.gif
when I add the module group into the test case, it doesn't show the "unbound variable" text immediately as it does when a user code file is added. The "Unbound variable" text is shown only when the solution is built (as it can be seen from the gif attached).

My question is "Why doesn't Ranorex Studio show the unbound variable text for the module group immediately when added into a test case?". It is annoying sometimes because I get a warning that there is an unbound variable when building which didn't show up initially.

Notes:
1) I have shown at the end that the module group contains recordings which in turn has variables.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stub

Post by Stub » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 am

Renaming module groups doesn't update my test suite either, so I've just got into the habit of automatically building after I make any module group changes.

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:40 pm

hi rshankar,

If there are no module group variables, Ranorex won't show "Unbound Variables".
I think this behavior is correct. If you take a look into the module group itself, you will find the unbound variable of your recording.

If your module group has module group variables, they will be shown after adding the module group to your test suite.

ModuleGroup.gif
regards, qwertzu

rshankar

Post by rshankar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi qwertzu,

Thanks again for your response.

In my previous post, in the attached gif, you can see that the module group that I added did have variables which eventually showed up when I built the solution.

I think Ranorex Studio has a bug where it doesn't show the 'Unbound variables' text straight away when added via "Right Click -> Add -> Existing Module" but shows the text straight away when added via the method you posted i.e. dragging module group from Ranorex module browser.

See attached gifs below showing the bug:

Method 1: Right Click -> Add -> Existing Module
add_mod_group_method_1.gif
Method 2: Dragging from Ranorex Module Browser
add_mod_group_method_2.gif
Note: For replicating the issue try the Method 2 first and Method 1. For some reason, Ranorex doesn't show 'Unbound variable' text even for Method 2 when I try the Method 1 first followed by Method 2 but building the solution and then trying out Method 2 works.

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:31 am

hi,

ok I see what you mean. Only if adding via "Add -> "existing module", the "unbound variable" is not shown directly.
However, after building the solution (F8), it shows up immediately.

regards, qwezu

rshankar

Post by rshankar » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 pm

So what happens next? Does someone from Ranorex read the post and do the needful?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello rshankar,

Thank you for reporting the issue.

We added the issue to our internal bug tracking system. Currently, we do not know if and when a bug fix will be implemented. This depends on various factors. Nevertheless, all reported bugs and feature requests are documented in the release notes, with every new version release of Ranorex: http://www.ranorex.com/release-notes.html

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Ranorex Support Team