After installing Ranorex 7 on fresh Windows 8 (with latest u

Bug reports.
mykola

After installing Ranorex 7 on fresh Windows 8 (with latest u

Post by mykola » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:02 am

After installing Ranorex 7 on fresh Windows 8 (with latest updates), Ranorex fails to recognize any element in chrome browser, (Ranorex extension is enabled).

Windows 8.1
Chrome version 57.0.2987.1339(64 bit)
Ranorex 7

Steps:
1.Install Ranorex on new Windows 8.1 machine.
2.Install Chrome browser. (chrome was never installed on that machine before).
3.Try to spy on any element in Chrome.

Ranorex will pop technology limitation warning, but even running Instrumentation wizard not helping to solve the issue.

Note: this is only happens on new machines. I'm running Ranorex just fine on old machine where it was installed for few mounts now. Similar issue with Firefox (Firefox displaying that Ranorex extension not signed). Although IE also throwing technology limitation warning it still works, but executes test very slowly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

krstcs

Re: After installing Ranorex 7 on fresh Windows 8 (with latest u

Post by krstcs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:22 pm

OK, after re-reading your post, it may be that your Ranorex install is corrupted. Please do a clean re-install by doing the following:

1. Uninstall Ranorex.
2. Reboot.
3. Reinstall Ranorex using Ranorex-7.0.0.exe
Shortcuts usually aren't...

mykola

Post by mykola » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:39 pm

I spend two days trying to make this work, installed Ranorex on 6 different machines, all of them with the same issue. For example, one machine was running tests with remote, then I needed to reinstall Windows, after that installed ranorex and it could not find any element in browser. We have 2 hode locked and 4 run time licences, and on only one machine which had Ranorex installed for few mounth is working fine. Don't know what else to do.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Please send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] (if in the US). They will be able to help you more quickly.

mykola

Post by mykola » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Found solution, after manually installing all Visual C++ components now it recognizes all element, I assumed that they automatically installed by Ranorex-7exe. Can’t believe spend so much time on a simple mistake :oops: .
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:35 pm

mykola wrote:Found solution, after manually installing all Visual C++ components now it recognizes all element, I assumed that they automatically installed by Ranorex-7exe
Well, all the Visual C++ components are (or should be) installed if you execute the *.exe installer.

Do you know which component was missing?
Did you really install using the *.exe installer or using the *.msi?

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:43 pm

Alex,

Could it be that there was a previous install of the VCRedist that was corrupt, and the Ranorex installer just didn't install over it because it thought it was OK? I didn't think that the Ranorex installer would reinstall anything if it thought it was already there.

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:27 pm

krstcs wrote:I didn't think that the Ranorex installer would reinstall anything if it thought it was already there.
That is true, but I thought that these are newly installed machines, that's why I hoped that no setups would be corrupted, yet :D

BTW, one of our standard tests for new releases is to install Ranorex on a brand new OS installation, that's why I'm curious if something really slipped through our hands with the C++ runtimes...

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

mykola

Post by mykola » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:35 pm

I lunched Ranorex-7.0.0-a4877c3b.msi (see screenshot) but I should have launched setup.exe which checks if all C++ components installed. So I installed what was missing manually and it all good now. I guess this is what happens if you don't read manual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mykola Gutsaliuk
eGate Solutions

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Thx for the information! So I guess our installer is fine, just the documentation needs to be improved :wink:

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Alex, given that Ranorex needs those prerequisites, maybe you guys should consider only posting the EXE on the main download page, and putting the MSI on a sub-page so as to alleviate confusion? It seems this issue comes up quite a bit where people use the MSI instead of the EXE and then have issues with VCRedist and such.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:01 pm

Kelly, not a bad idea, or maybe show a popup warning when downloading the ZIP package containing the MSI...

Anyway, IMHO the main problem here was that only some redists were missing, ending up in a weird state were Ranorex would start up fine, but some integrations not working correctly. We will remove most of the required C++ redists with the next minor version. And then, if they are not installed, Ranorex will not even start up.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:04 pm

That sounds good to me.

Although, you guys may get a lot more "Ranorex won't start" issues... :D

Thanks for the help Alex! As always, you guys are top notch in supporting your customers!

scrushmaster

Post by scrushmaster » Wed May 03, 2017 12:44 am

Yeah i never read the "readme", i hit this wall.... I would changed how its packaged or something since it lends itself to user mistakes.