Agent does not work on VM

Ask general questions here.
bennylew
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Agent does not work on VM

Post by bennylew » Tue May 31, 2016 7:44 am

Hi,

we try to use Ranorex 6.0 Remote with agents on virtual machines. We are running into several problems, caused in our infrastructure. The main Problem is, that the agent is not starting correctly on the VM at startup.

When we start the Agent manually on the VM, everything is working fine, but we want them to start automatically on startup.

When a VM is started, the Service "Ranorex Agent Auto Launcher" is started and a process called "Ranorex.Dex.Agent.Launcher.exe" is running. The agent itself is not visible in tray or somewhere else (is this correct?!). A connection from Ranorex Studio is also not possible.

I looked up with netstat and no apllication is listening on the specific ports (i.e. 8081 TCP). I guess this is also not correct.

When I manually start the RanorexRemoteAgent.exe, the ports are used in listening mode and I can see the apllication on the Desktop. Connecting from Studio is also possible, so there are no network errors.

In our Company the Windows Feature "UAC" must be enabled and in my opinion this is the reason for our Trouble. Staring the Agent manually is only possible with admin credentials.

What we have tried without success so far:
- Giving the working user admin privilegs
- tried different accounts for starting the Service
- tried to run RanorexRemoteAgent.exe on Startup/Login via task scheduler

Any hints, ho we could get this running in our infrastructure?

Best regards
Benjamin

Martin

Re: Agent does not work on VM

Post by Martin » Tue May 31, 2016 7:52 am

bennylew
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Agent does not work on VM

Post by bennylew » Tue May 31, 2016 10:20 am

I got it working, but we have to set the working user as local admin. Don't know why it wasn't working yesterday :)