Agent License question

Ask general questions here.
swmatisa

Agent License question

Post by swmatisa » Fri May 20, 2016 8:53 am

Dear Support,

I try to read the explanation about the new features with the "agents". It seems nice, but there is a big issue:

As soon as the agent start (accessible in the Remote Pad), it get a floating licences. If we have 10 different machine/OS configuration, I need to have 10 licenses to connect (not to run) the agents in the Remote Pad.

For me, the connection to the Remote Pad didn't need a valid license. Only the run of a test need a license. Without this, I need to continue to do the job manually :( . There is quite no benefits to use agents.

Did I understand correctly your documentation?

Best Regards
SW

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Agent License question

Post by odklizec » Mon May 23, 2016 8:14 am

Hi,

I believe similar discussion is already here:
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/about-the- ... t9413.html
Basically, you need available license for each remote connection/execution.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

swmatisa

Post by swmatisa » Mon May 23, 2016 11:28 am

Hello,

The discussion start a little bit different, but the final is quite the same.
odklizec wrote:Basically, you need available license for each remote connection/execution.
For me :
Basically, you need available license for each remote execution, It is totally normal to pay for an execution, but not for only a connection.
SW

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon May 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi,

Well, that's debatable ;) What's the point of connecting to agent, if you don't want to execute it? The whole point of remote execution is to execute a test, right? So no matter what, you still need a license, for each "connected" system, where you want to execute your test. Or am I missing something? Why do you want to connect to an agent, without executing it?

You see, as mentioned before, remote test execution in Ranorex, is not designed as a replacement for more sophisticated solutions, like for example Jenkins. So there is probably nothing like delayed start of execution, which waits for the end of previous job? And this is probably what you need with limited number of licenses? Simply put, the number of agents you configure = the number executed jobs (at the same time). And for each agent you need an available license.

What you can do right now is to send a feature request (to [email protected]), where you can ask for something like "delayed/wait-for-finish" remote execution. Another option is to configure a CI system (like Jenkins), where you can relative easily configure multiple jobs and simply put them on hold while the other job(s) is already running and most probably eats your available license(s).

BTW, have you tried to disable Autostart of agent (as described >here<)? This could solve your problem with unavailable licenses during configuration? Then simply start and end agent manually during configuration phase.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

swmatisa

Post by swmatisa » Tue May 24, 2016 8:05 am

I understand the point of view of Ranorex. They want to sell licenses. With a 10 different configurations, I need 10 licenses or continue to check manually one after the other. Time is money 8) ...

Thanks for your suggestions
SW

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue May 24, 2016 8:16 am

Of course, Ranorex wants to sell more licenses. That's the whole purpose of commercially developed SW ;) But in my opinion, nothing has really changed regarding licenses in 6.0? You needed license for every machine with Ranorex started at the same time even before. So I don't really see a difference? I'm using automated start of my tests on multiple machines (using Jenkins) probably since Ranorex 3.x and all is working great. And of course, we don't own number of licenses equal to number of available VMs ;) We just laverage the number of available licenses with proper Jenkins settings and a piece of Ranorex code, allowing test to wait for next available license.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

swmatisa

Post by swmatisa » Tue May 24, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for your suggestions.

Now I didn't use Jenkins because we have a lot of manual operations on legacy systems. I think Jenkins will be a necessity in the future. :idea: :?: :!:
SW

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Wed May 25, 2016 3:47 pm

There is a similar discussion already going on in another thread (http://www.ranorex.com/forum/about-the- ... t9413.html).

I will say for my part that the remote agent should NOT need a license, whether I'm connected to it or not. From what I understand, the agent consumes one runtime license if it is running on the remote system, whether you connect or not, whether is running a test or not. It ALSO then requires a license for the test being run, which means TWO licenses are being used on one system, which is not a good thing as it uses up licenses very quickly, especially if you only have a few.

The agent does nothing on its own, why does it need a license? It can't run tests by itself and you can't use it to edit tests. I understand that it can be used separately from Ranorex Studio using the REST API, but even then the tests that it runs require a valid license, so why make us use get one for the agent as well?

I understand and support fully that Ranorex is a business and makes money from licensing, but this is an instance where I think they are starting to hurt their business by forcing customers to buy more licenses than are truly needed. It seems like a "money grab" if you don't know the Ranorex team like we do.

If I need a license for the tests, then I should not also need a license for the agent.

If I need a license for the agent, then I should not need a license for the tests running on it.

One or the other, not both.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 pm

krstcs wrote:If I need a license for the agent, then I should not need a license for the tests running on it.
That's exactly the case with the current Ranorex Remote Agent licensing.

You only need 1 (a single) floating license. The license is leased when the agent is started. No additional license is needed when running a test on an already licensed agent.

http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... e-faq.html

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu May 26, 2016 9:01 am

OK, I've finally had a chance to try the remote functionality in 6.0. I must agree that the current behavior, where remote agent always locks runtime license (even if there is no job running) is quite unhappy.

In my opinion, we should be able to install remote agents on as many machines as we want and each agent should quietly sit and wait for a job, without locking any license. The license should be locked only if there is actually started a job (similarly to jobs started via Jenkins) and release the license immediately once the job (test run) is finished.

This would make the whole idea of remote execution from Ranorex Studio much more useful. It's definitely pointless to own the number of floating licenses, equal to number of available virtual machines dedicated for tests. In most cases, we don't really need to run the tests simultaneously on multiple machines. Current approach practically makes the floating licenses a much more expensive node locked licenses? ;)
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu May 26, 2016 11:43 am

Also another thing I noticed related to the agent. It doesn't take into account if any other test is running.

For me there is no solution for Ranorex Agent to replace Jenkins in my current setup. Jenkins is mostly used related to the need of business workers having the access to start automation tests.

If a job is started in Jenkins and and I then send a job through the Agent to the same machine, the Agent will start right away. So it will not take into account the already running job. Thus screwing up the flow for the 1st test and making them both fail (in most scenarios where somesort of control is required).

So atm I will always have to check if any jobs are running through Jenkins before triggering the Agent. And I would as well need to take the Slave (test machine) offline during the time I'm running tests through Agent not to have a business person trigger another test job ontop of the Agents job.

Would be nice for the agent to understand if any Ranorex related automation is running on the system already before starting another test through Agent.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Thu May 26, 2016 1:26 pm

At this point, the Ranorex Remote Agent is not intended to replace Jenkins, or any other CI tool. It is only intended to allow the test developer (us) to run tests remotely, quickly, without having to do it on our local system. This means that we can continue to develop while the test runs remotely instead of waiting on it to finish before we can use our system again.

For me, this still isn't a good enough reason to use it though, because if I am running a test for debugging purposes I want to see exactly what it's doing, so I want to run it locally. But there may be others that do things differently.

I agree though that the agent should not consume a license. But, the other side to that is that the agent does not require Ranorex Studio to kick off remote tests. There is a REST API that can be used, so if Ranorex just gave the agent away for free, it could be used by people that aren't even paying for Ranorex.

My suggestion in another thread was for them to have the agent check for a valid license periodically, but not to CONSUME the license, only check the server to see if there are 1 or more licenses on the server, regardless of their state of use. This would at least mean that they are only providing the agent to paying customers.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue May 31, 2016 1:16 pm

Hello krstcs,

Thank you for your comment. You are absolutely correct, Ranorex Remote is a new functionality that enhances your Ranorex experience and allows you to simultaneously test in different environments, directly out of Ranorex Studio. In order to do so, a Runtime Licenses is required for each Ranorex Agent that is launched out of Ranorex. This new feature is not mandatory and is an addition to the existing Ranorex functionalities. You are still able to execute your tests on different machines with our Runtime License.
We appreciate your suggestions and will forward them to our Product Management.

Regards,
Bernhard