Agent unable to see repo items.

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
dmconsulting1
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Agent unable to see repo items.

Post by dmconsulting1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:38 pm

This was working, so I don't understand what caused this to stop. The test starts on the agent to launch the installer, but is unable to find the first object (the Next button) and fails.

This has been working up until I left for break. I noticed the build was failing while I was gone due to this issue, so I tried to run it local and get the same results. Nothing in the app or my script has changed. But now it no longer runs from the agent.

User avatar
odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru
Posts: 6157
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: Zilina, Slovakia

Re: Agent unable to see repo items.

Post by odklizec » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi,

I’m afraid, that without seeing, at very least, Ranorex snapshot of the app under test, complete xpath (as stored in repository) and exact error message you getting, there is not much anyone here can do or suggest. Could you please share the snapshot (NOT screenshot), xpath and exact error? In my opinion, something evidently changed in the AUT and so the xpath you are using is no longer valid.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

dmconsulting1
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Re: Agent unable to see repo items.

Post by dmconsulting1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Failed to find item 'P38Repository.InstallWizard.ButtonNext'. Please check that your whitelist allows Ranorex to access the process.
No element found for path '/form[@title>'P38 - V1.2.2']/button[@text='&Next >']' at step 'form[@title>'P38 - V1.2.2']' after 284 attempts within 1m.
Attachments
Setup.rxsnp
(35.77 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

dmconsulting1
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Re: Agent unable to see repo items.

Post by dmconsulting1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:49 pm

Never mind, it seems the Setup title changed from 1.2.2 to 1.3 while I was gone. So it wasn't finding a 1.2.2 window because it is 1.3 now.

Love undocumented changes.

User avatar
odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru
Posts: 6157
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:54 am
Location: Zilina, Slovakia

Re: Agent unable to see repo items.

Post by odklizec » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi,

Good to hear you solved the issue. Exactly what I though 😉 You should always eliminate all potentially changing strings from xpaths.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

dmconsulting1
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Re: Agent unable to see repo items.

Post by dmconsulting1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:22 pm

I am looking at a different attribute to use. I was not made aware of the change, so this will need to be addressed. I was only looking at the first part of the title string as the full title includes the build number that changes with each build. But I was not made aware that the referenced version was changing from 1.2.2 to 1.3.

I had a build from before the winter break I was using local (1.2.2), but this script is tied to the Azure build pipeline, so the failure was happening only with the newest build (1.3), but passing local.

The revised (for now) xpath is /form[@title>'P38 - V1.3']