Android testing - NFC reading

Ask general questions here.
martinsw

Android testing - NFC reading

Post by martinsw » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi

Can you tell me if Ranorex have any plans for the Android testing capability to be extended to simulate reading NFC tags?

Thanks

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Android testing - NFC reading

Post by Support Team » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 am

Hello martinsw,

In general Ranorex is a GUI test automation tool. Therefore, you can create tests for an application which works with NFC-tags. Ranorex itself cannot read out NFC-tags.

Please find out how to automate your Android app in following section of our UserGuide: http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... sting.html

Regards,
Robert

martinsw

Post by martinsw » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I don't feel that my question has been answered. I am aware of how to go about automatating an android app using Ranorex.

However, the android app that I am testing has many features one of which is the capability to read data off nfc tags. In order for the app to read data off the tag both the tag and the device need to be right next to each other. So currently, if I wanted to set up a Ranorex automated test that verifies whether or not the app responds in the correct way when an NFC tag gets scanned, I need to ensure that every time I run the test both the device and the tag are right next to each other - not a practical reality.

So my question was, does Ranorex have any plans to develop a recording module action which simulates the reading of data off an NFC tag?

Thanks.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Martin,

In general Ranorex is a GUI test automation tool. We are not planning to add the possibility to check if there is a nfc tag is located next to the device. In my point of view this should be handled by the application which is able to read nfc tags and not by the test automaton tool.
Please let me know if I am wrong.

Regards,
Bernhard

martinsw

Post by martinsw » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 am

Hi Bernhard,

I'm not asking if Ranorex can check to see if there is an NFC tag next to the device, I'm asking if there are any plans for Ranorex to add a recording module action that SIMULATES the reading of an NFC tag? In Ranorex version 5.1 the mobile testing capabilities were extended significantly, see below extract from release notes.....

"While testing the functionality of your mobile application it is often required to double check the performance of a device. It is now possible to perform non-UI tests by invoking technology dependent actions. You can access device specific information like battery, memory or CPU state, or access all of the SMS text messages or calls stored on the device"

So, given this recent extension in mobile testing capability, I was curious to know if Ranorex had any plans in the pipeline to extend the mobile testing capabilities further in the form of simulating the reading of an NFC tag?

Thanks

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:13 am

Hi martinsw,

There is no plan to add a recording module action that simulates the reading of an NFC tag at the moment, but if you want to vote for this feature please send an email to [email protected].

Regards,
Bernhard

martinsw

Post by martinsw » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks Bernhard, i'll do that!