Application running in Webbrowser and as an App on iOS - Elegant way to manage that in one project?

Ask general questions here.
BlindJones
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:10 am

Application running in Webbrowser and as an App on iOS - Elegant way to manage that in one project?

Post by BlindJones » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:06 am

Hello all,

we are currently working on an application which will be running on PCs by using a browser and besides that a compiled version (with exact the same code will be provided for iOS users).

Since I wish to test both system (PC and iPad) I wonder whether there is an elegant way to set two endpoints in one Ranorex project?

The options to handle two endpoints from my experience are so far:
a) Create two separate Ranorex solutions -> disadvantage is the need to maintain them both then
b) Create a second repository in the project -> disadvantage is to create all recordings two times (as far as I know one recording -> one repository)

I am wondering how more experienced users of Ranorex would solve that requirement. A second test suite? Create another app folder in the repository and copy all repository items to that new app folder?
My repository for the browser PC version starts with the path "/dom[@domain='XYZ.com' and @state='complete'] so it will not work on an iPad this way I believe...

Thanks in advance for the help and ideas! :)

Regards
Sebastian

User avatar
Stub
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Re: Application running in Webbrowser and as an App on iOS - Elegant way to manage that in one project?

Post by Stub » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:32 am

I know absolutely nothnig about either endpoints or iOS testing, so this is probably entirely incorrect and irrelevant, but one thing I had to do recently was adjust our repository to target different hosts depending on who was developing or running tests. I ended up reading configuration files when the tests started and altered variables used by the repository to retarget it elsewhere to suit the environment. I was wondering if some sort of configuration file adjustment would work in your scenario.

Those single repository recordings are a right pain. As soon as I saw that limitation, I stopped using them years ago. So I guess I have more flexibility when I code up all of our code modules by hand, to do various things under the hood/behind the scenes.