Are you asked to restart ranorex when you run your tests?

Ask general questions here.
jecardenasri01

Are you asked to restart ranorex when you run your tests?

Post by jecardenasri01 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm

hello guys I have a doubt is that when I run my test cases I get this error, which asks to restart ranorex to run correctly

the process to run requieres higher privileges Ranorex Studio needs to be restarted as Administrator
Do you want to restar Ranorex Studio as Adminsitrator?
(you will be prompted to change your user account).

I currently have the username and password of an administrator (my account is not), I wonder if I can pass those credentials somewhere so I do not have to restart ranorex every time I run my tests

thanks for your attention

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Are you asked to restart ranorex when you run your tests?

Post by odklizec » Wed May 09, 2018 8:06 am

Hi,

Usually, Ranorex does not need to be started with Admin privileges. However, there are few cases, when it's required to run it as admin. For example, it's required if tests are started in Debug mode. Also, it may be required to run Ranorex as Administrator, if your test starts an app with required admin rights. And finally, there are some controls, which requires elevated privileges, so Ranorex must be started as admin, otherwise, it may be unable to access some of their attributes (typically some WPF-based apps). All in all, it's easy to setup Ranorex to always start as administrator. Just right click the Ranorex studio shortcut and from the appeared context menu select Properties, then click Advanced and enable Run as administrator check box...
runasadmin.png
runasadmin.png (25.84 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Are you asked to restart ranorex when you run your tests?

Post by ahoisl » Wed May 09, 2018 3:26 pm

jecardenasri01 wrote:the process to run requieres higher privileges Ranorex Studio needs to be restarted as Administrator
If you are on Windows 8 or higher, this is due to the ability to automate Windows Store Apps.
If you don't need that capability, just disable the setting "Use UiaLauncher to elevate privileges for processes started by tools" in the Ranorex settings "Advanced" tab.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team