@childindex issue after upgrading to 9.0.1

Ask general questions here.
martinacceo

@childindex issue after upgrading to 9.0.1

Post by martinacceo » Thu May 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello,

We upgrade from 8.2 to 9.0.1 and we encountered problems with the @childindex in our paths.
Note: We had NO issues since 6.x with using ChildIndex. So now we have many scripts that fails after the upgrade to 9.0.1

The path looks like this - See attached zip file with image1.jpg

With that we could catch the value easily.
But notice how it does recognize it anymore with ChildIndex
If I put the @innertext directly Ranorex sees it
See attached zip file with image2.jpg

As you see here, the ChildIndex is really 4 in the Browser & Results
See attached zip file with image3.jpg

One thing I noticed, is that the name in the browser & results is using a capital C and I for ChildIndex
See attached zip file with image4.jpg

But when I do type it like ChildIndex=’4’ and click apply, it reverts back to lower case ‘c’ and ‘I’ in the path
See attached zip file with image5.jpg
Maybe not relevant but still wanted to mention it.

Any help would be appreciated, we want to avoid change many scripts (very time consuming)

I have both the Ranorex Snapshot and compressed log. I just did not want to post it here, as it includes sensitive information. Just let me know to who/where I should send it too.

Thank you very much
Attachments
screenshots.zip
(144.83 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: @childindex issue after upgrading to 9.0.1

Post by odklizec » Thu May 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Hi,

At first, it should be mentioned, that childindexes and indexes as such, are not something that should be used in large scale. They can change at any time, typically due to the changes in tested app. They may also change, because of improvements/changes in Ranorex (due to changes in element recognition). So you should use them only if there is absolutely no other way, how to recognise individual elements (e.g. by traversing from ancestor/sibling elements).

At next, it really does not matter, if you use ChildIndex or childindex. Both is correct and as you already found, spy always converts it to lowercase.

My guess is, that there is something different in the way the table (or its ancestor elements) is recognised in 9.0.1. Sadly, without seeing the snapshot, both from 6.x and 9.x, it’s next to impossible to tell what’s wrong or different? Generally speaking, this is why the upgrade process should be incremental and not in such big steps. There were released 3 major and countless of minor versions with several breaking changes. So now it may be hard to find the cause of your problem. It’s definitely impossible without, at very least, Ranorex snapshots from both versions. If you are not able/allowed to publish Ranorex snapshots, I would suggest to contact directly Ranorex support and request a remote session with them, so they can analyse the situation in a real-time.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

martinacceo

Post by martinacceo » Thu May 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Thank you. I opened a ticket by email with the log and snapshop.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:07 pm

We had another customer link to this forum post with the same issue. Here is the solution for any other customers stumble across this same issue and thread.

Email excerpt to customer:
This is a known limitation with a new feature introduced in Ranorex 9.0 – JS-based RxPath evaluation. This feature can improve object recognition time of web elements, but has the downside of childindex not working.

Since you rely on this attribute, it is recommended to disable the JS-based RxPath evaluation feature to return the behavior to the same as pre-9.0 (see image below for how-to). In the meantime, watch our release notes as there is a possibility JS-based RxPath evaluation may add support for childindex in the future.

https://www.ranorex.com/release-notes
1.png
1.png (21.66 KiB) Viewed 17 times
Cheers,
Ned