AUT 64bit WPF

Ask general questions here.
Hondo

AUT 64bit WPF

Post by Hondo » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:39 am

Hey..

Have begun the Ranorex attack on a 64bit WPF app...

Have encountered problems locating some obj.'s (just a few)..but using the 64bit Recorder and Spy was successful.

BUT, using them outside of Ranorex Studio.

However, can't play back the scripts from 32bit.. does this mean have to compile first and then playback using the 64bit Testsuite Runner app.?

Is there a more efficient workflow?
Is there a way to configure Ranorex Studio to utilize the 64bit versions of these components?

Thanks.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AUT 64bit WPF

Post by Support Team » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Hello Hondo,

Welcome to the Ranorex Forum!

Generally, Ranorex handles testing of 32/64 bit based applications on 64 bit operating systems automatically. Could you please create and upload a Ranorex Snapshot of the application under test with the 32bit Spy and with the 64bit Spy? This would help me analyzing the issue.

More information about creating a Ranorex Snapshot can be found at the following link.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Johannes

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Before I go through sending a snapshot.

One msg seen is
"You are accessing WPF elements via the UIA plug-in. UI element identification capabilities for this window are limited. Consider using the native WPF plug-in."

How do I tell it to use WPF?
Under project references I see "Ranorex.Plugin.Uia" and then a few entries down "Ranorex.Plugin.Wpf".
Should I just Remove Ranorex.Plugin.Uia from the References list?

<><>Update<><>
Tried removing Ranorex.Plugin.Uia and studio seems to be able to identify the control better (can highlight it), but when I run it, it blows up.

Is anybody there? I know it's after 6pm in Germany.
<><><>

Thanks!

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Hi,

You have to change the WPF plugin preferences in Settings (under wpf plugin section). There is no point to remove any reference from Ranorex.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jazz albert

Post by jazz albert » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:04 am

odklizec wrote:Hi,

You have to change the WPF plugin preferences in Settings (under wpf plugin section). There is no point to remove any reference from Ranorex.
Would you please you please share its visuals to make it more clear!
TragusInfantigoRx

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:39 am

Hi,

Please follow the description in Ranorex User Guide ("Plugin Specific Settings" section) available here:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... rview.html
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:16 pm

For the most part, got all my issues resolved.
Just to help close the loop on my situation (maybe somebody somewhere will find this useful).

Did the following:
* Verified the Project config.: "Target CPU x64". Settings: "Enale 32/64 Bit Bridge", "WPF Preferred" plugin etc.. I had already done this setup.

* Run As Administrator. Both Ranorex Studio & the AUT.

* Suppress the UAC auth nags. Basically configured win10 not to show 'em.

* Created our own UI Mapping (.rxrep) file..nice and tidy like.

Scripts are running very smooth now without any problems identifying and accessing the UI objects.
I think the UI Map file has had the biggest impact. Not doing much "recording", just creating modules.

One remaining issue is running the UAT As Administrator.. We REALLY need to test it under the Local User acct..

I've made an official request to get a x64 version of the Ranorex Studio. IMHO seems odd they don't have one (in the face of x64 Spy & Runner). It would probably help if more people echoed the request.

Thanks to Support for the assist.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:58 pm

There is really no need for a 64-bit IDE (Ranorex Studio) since it is just a fancy text editor. I don't think there is a way for the Ranorex team to even do it since the system that Ranorex Studio is built on top of (SharpDevelop) is x86 only. Combine that with the fact that even MS Visual Studio is x86 only (and won't be upgraded to x64 any time in the next several years according to MS), and I don't see it happening any time soon for Ranorex either.

The MSBuild.exe application that actually does the build process is the only thing that needs to be x64 in order to create 64-bit applications. The IDE doesn't need it.

And for Ranorex, there's really no need to make tests that are x64 anyway because the 32/64 bit bridge allows x86 tests to work against x64 applications without modification.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:08 am

krstcs wrote:There is really no need for a 64-bit IDE (Ranorex Studio) since it is just a fancy text editor. I don't think there is a way for the Ranorex team to even do it since the system that Ranorex Studio is built on top of (SharpDevelop) is x86 only. Combine that with the fact that even MS Visual Studio is x86 only (and won't be upgraded to x64 any time in the next several years according to MS), and I don't see it happening any time soon for Ranorex either.

The MSBuild.exe application that actually does the build process is the only thing that needs to be x64 in order to create 64-bit applications. The IDE doesn't need it.

And for Ranorex, there's really no need to make tests that are x64 anyway because the 32/64 bit bridge allows x86 tests to work against x64 applications without modification.
Why the need for x64 Spy and Runner then?
I used the x64 Spy just a few minutes ago.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:20 am

Hondo wrote:Why the need for x64 Spy and Runner then?
I used the x64 Spy just a few minutes ago.
As the other guys said, it usually makes no difference whether you use 32bit or 64bit Spy/Recorder/TestSuite Runner. However, there are some exceptions which are rare, but may occur:
  • The AUT is a WinForms application and defines controls in DLLs that are explicitly compiled to 32bit/64bit. To fully access those controls in user code (i.e. to load the control definitions), Ranorex needs to run with the same bit width as the AUT then.
  • The AUT is a WPF application and control properties you want to access have types that are defined in DLLs explicitly compiled to 32bit/64bit. To fully make use of those types, Ranorex needs to run with the same bit width as the AUT then.
  • You reference DLLs that are explicitly compiled to 32bit/64bit in your Ranorex test project. To be able to load those DLLs at runtime, the correct TestSuiteRunner with the same bit width needs to be used.
So, usually it should not matter whether to use 32 or 64 bit version, unless a technology limitation tells you that there is a problem - which is really uncommon.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:49 am

Thanks for the explanation Alex! It's really useful to know this. I think it would be nice to have such info directly in User Guide (in Spy or troubleshooting section)?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Hondo

Post by Hondo » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:27 pm

odklizec wrote:Thanks for the explanation Alex! It's really useful to know this. I think it would be nice to have such info directly in User Guide (in Spy or troubleshooting section)?
Agreed.
Get the info. out there.

Thanks again!

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:22 pm

odklizec wrote:I think it would be nice to have such info directly in User Guide (in Spy or troubleshooting section)?
Most of the information should already be there (see WinForms troubleshooting and 64-bit topic), but I guess not as concentrated as I summed it up in this post.
I will forward the request to our technical writers.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team