Auto-Binding from a high level

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
AccidentReport

Auto-Binding from a high level

Post by AccidentReport » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:26 am

Been a while since any stupid questions so here is today's!

Is it possible to do an auto bind from a top level such as the test suite itself, instead of individually on the test cases?

The reason I ask is that I'm using a variable in the base path of my repository objects. Now, when I record I change this back to a fixed URL so that any new objects get added to the same folder structure of objects. Once I have finished I change it back to the variable, at which point all the bindings are lost and I need to manually go through and re auto bind each testcase (at present about 50 but ever growing).

Failing that any other suggestions of perhaps a better way to do things?

mzperix

Re: Auto-Binding from a high level

Post by mzperix » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:34 am

Hi AccidentReport,

Although I do not know a way to Auto-bind from test suite, but there is a workaround:

The reason of binging loss, is that the variable is used only on one place, and when you replace the url to a static value, then it looses it's "in use" state. it So if you could just make a "dummy" element, that contains this variable, then your bindings would not be lost.

And you can try one more thing: try to add a default value to the variable, which is the same you would give if it would be a static value. Do a few step recording, and see if the elements are registered in the proper place.

Edit: I tried to add a default value to URL, and I got that if the default value is the same when recording, then the new elements will be registered under the proper dom. So it works.

You do not need to delete the variable, just change the default value in the repository, see the attached screenshot.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Zoltán Major
Attachments
variables.png
variables.png (77.37 KiB) Viewed 831 times

AccidentReport

Re: Auto-Binding from a high level

Post by AccidentReport » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Marvellous. Just setting the default value does seem to fix it and make it happy. Many thanks!