Automate Revit applications

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
nitinjambhale

Automate Revit applications

Post by nitinjambhale » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello,
How can we get instance of Revit Document (Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document) with Ranorex?

Thanks.

asdf

Re: Automate Revit applications

Post by asdf » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:19 am

Hi Nitinjambhale,

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of the Revit application. Furthermore, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve.
May I ask you to explain your intention in more detail?

If you want to use the Revit API, you will have to add the Revit-assemblies to your Ranorex project.

Hope this helps.

Best,
asdf

nitinjambhale

Post by nitinjambhale » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:01 am

Yes i have added the Revit Assemblies to the Ranorex project...

My Background: I am Revit Programmer who code in visual studio c# and used to run class libraries with the help of Revit.exe and then with the help of events and methods given in Revit API, i m driving revit...

Intension: My what i have done with Revit, i am trying to test that with Ranorex.
IDE testing is possible for me by giving valid XPath but for placing any elements in Revit I am requiring Revit Document instance which is there in Namespace Autodesk.Revit.DB.Document and this instance we used to set after opening of Revit Document...But with Ranorex how can i Initialize that instance and do various operations on Revit, so that it will help me to automate the testing of Revit Applications.

Hope you understand the scenario.(If not let me know, i will try again)
Please suggest something.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:41 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, that without, at very least, Ranorext snapshot, there is nothing anyone here can do or suggest. Most people here never ever heard about Revit apps ;)

Have you tried to examine the app with Ranroex Spy? Does it recognize its elements? If not, you may be out of luck automating this app with Ranorex. If Ranorex spy recognizes Revit elements, then you should be able to automate it without adding any reference to Ranorex. Adding Revit API reference to Ranorex will most probably not help with recognizing Revit elements unless Ranorex adds support for Revit document to Ranorex core.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

nitinjambhale

Post by nitinjambhale » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:24 am

Thanks for the reply odklizec.
Ranorex spy is recognizing the WPF forms inside Revit IDE.
But now only problem is that those functionalities i wont be able to do that requires Revit Document instance.

Having hard luck with this nowadays.

Thanks.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:17 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, I don't understand what exactly is your problem. What functionality do you need to access via Revit API? Could you please post a Ranorex snapshotAND screenshots with some explanation what exactly is not working for you?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

nitinjambhale

Post by nitinjambhale » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:34 am

Revit is Autodesk Software and our application is basically for placing family instance in Revit document
Revit document is Revit GUI which is used for designing, we Need Instance from that GUI in the form of Revit API object

Now we found revit Document as form, we need to convert into REVIT API object
is it possible in ranorex?

Thanks.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:54 am

Hi,

Well, basically, Ranorex IDE is a .net development environment, so almost anything that's possible with Visual Studio, should be doable with Ranorex too. I don't know Revit and its API and I doubt anyone here can help you with this app-specific problem. And I'm afraid, without functional demo app and Revit API, there is most probably nothing Ranorex folks can do for you as well. You may ask them directly as [email protected]. This is a most recommended way of communication with Ranorex support.

Additionally, I would suggest to contact Revit developers and ask them for help. Ranorex offers a 30day trial version, so it should be enough for figuring out how to add Revit API to Ranorex solution and how to access what you need with it.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration