Automation Framework

Experiences, small talk, and other automation gossip.
omayer

Automation Framework

Post by omayer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Is it feasble ? common shared library across the board for 3/4 different applications which are built on diff technology-
1. Coldfusion 2. PeopleTools and 3. .NEt
-- how will it be recognized similar controls but different technology involved. ex- firstname(txtFirstname)
-- is it easy to maintain ?
-- how robust will it be
please provide any pros and cons-
Thanks
Beginner

Ciege

Re: Automation Framework

Post by Ciege » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Sure it is feasible. My framework contains methods for .NET, DOM, Excel, SQL and general helper code. All of which I put into their own classes within the same solution. Then I compile as a DLL and reference that DLL from within each automated test case that I write.

Very easy to use this way since if you have any changes that need to be made they are only required to be made in one place.

You could do it the way I described or you could create a separate DLL for each technology that you use and only reference those framework DLLs that are required by your current test.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

omayer

Post by omayer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:25 pm

Thank you Ciege,
How do you get the control to click when 3 diff app has 3 diff xpath using a same method.
beginner
Tipu

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:49 pm

My methods take in different variables.
For example, my PushbuttonClick method takes a RanorexForm variable and a button name variable. Then in the method itself I search the passed in form for the button name that was passed in.

Code: Select all

public static int PushButtonClick(Ranorex.Form RanorexFormName, String PushButtonName)
However, you can craft your method to take in whichever variables you want, such as a form and an xPath then it will use the xPath you pass in.
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

omayer

Post by omayer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi Ciege, how to read test data from .csv file then pass it to testcase method, any input will help
Thanks,
Beginner
Tipu

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Do you know how to read data from the CSV file yet? If no, learn that... If yes, read the data, assign the information to a variable, pass that variable to the method.
It's quite simple...

You can either use Ranorex's CSV data connector or develop your own data reader through .NET code and read the data.

Ciege...