Azure Win10 xpath different from local Win10 xpath

Ask general questions here.
QAMember1

Azure Win10 xpath different from local Win10 xpath

Post by QAMember1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:28 pm

We are planning on using Azure Win10 for our CI process to execute the test.

My test runs fine on local Win8 and Win10. But when we run the test on Azure Win10, it fails. The failure is caused by xpath of items in repository. The textbox xpath is different on Azure Win10 vs local Win10.

Has any one run into similar issues?

Can anyone please provide a solution or a work around on how I can run the same test on Win10 and Azure Win10?

krstcs

Re: Azure Win10 xpath different from local Win10 xpath

Post by krstcs » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Can you give us a bit more information?

Specifically:

Ranorex version
Technology of the SUT (HTML, Flash/Flex, WPF, Java, etc.)
XPath of the problematic element(s)
Ranorex Snapshot (NOT a screenshot!) of the element on both your local and the Azure systems

Without this it will be hard to tell if this is a bug with Ranorex or an issue with a bad XPath.

Also, make sure the XPath you use has no indexes in it because these can change from one system to another, depending on the SUT.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

QAMember1

Post by QAMember1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:01 am

I will provide the further information that you requested soon. Our SUT has to have indexes in the xpath as our WPF and WinForm application uses web control and does not have automationID or any unique identifier. The issue at hand is the when we run Ranorex on our Azure Win10 VM, the first element in the Ranorex Spy is Dom 'Bing'. Because of this, our dom indexes are always off by 1 on Azure Win10 VM. But on local Win10, Dom 'Bing' does not display in the Ranorex spy unless you are doing a search in Cortana. There is no way to turn off cortana as it is always running in the background regardless of settings or registry updates. Since we are stuck using indexes on our xPath, the only work around is to completely remove cortana by renaming the cortana file path. But this causes all search on Win10 to stop. I guess the question to the expert is, is there a way to prevent cortana from showing up in Ranorex spy (only display SUT elements and not Windows elements) or some how disable cortana some other way or exclude it from xpath calculations.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:50 pm

Without a snapshot it will be very difficult to help you.
Shortcuts usually aren't...