Back button on browser not recognized on Selenium endpoint

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
sgcneil

Back button on browser not recognized on Selenium endpoint

Post by sgcneil » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:03 am

I have created an automated test on a website using my local machine as the Endpoint and it recognizes pressing the browser's Back button.
However when I set Selenium Webdriver as the endpoint, Ranorex cannot find the back button and the testing fails there.
I have many "back" button presses in my Test Suite to thoroughly test the website's capacity so I can't just remove that step.

The error message is:
Failed to find item 'xxxxxxxxRepository.WebDocumentxxxxxxxxOn.Self'.
No element found for path '/dom[@domain='xxxx.xxxxe.com']' at step 'dom[@domain='xxxx.xxxxe.com']' after 85 attempts within 30s.

I've seen on the Ranorex report screenshot that the browser's menu bar on top is cropped out and only shows the site's content. I want to know why but I'm more interested on how to execute a back button on browsers when using Selenium as an endpoint.

To summarize the question:
If I want to use Selenium webdriver as an endpoint, how could I execute a command on Ranorex that moves back to the browser's previous page?

RanorexStudio:v9.1.0
browser:Chrome (haven't tried on other)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Back button on browser not recognized on Selenium endpoint

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Hi,

As far as I know, Selenium cannot manipulate web browser's UI controls? On Selenium, if you want to navigate back, you must use code like this:

Code: Select all

driver.Navigate().Back();
The question is, how to invoke such command in Ranorex? Maybe this page could help?...
http://scraping.pro/example-of-scraping ... in-csharp/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

qwertzu

Re: Back button on browser not recognized on Selenium endpoint

Post by qwertzu » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:49 am

Hi,

For executing Selenium commands, you have to fetch the currently used webdriver endpoint with these two lines:

var webDriverEndpoint = Host.Current.TryGetAsWebDriverEndpoint();
OpenQA.Selenium.IWebDriver driver = webDriverEndpoint.WebDrivers.FirstOrDefault();
Afterwards you should be able to execute Selenium commands as Odklizec suggested.

Also, don't forget to add the necessary "usings" at the top of your code module:

using System.Linq;
using OpenQA.Selenium;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Support;
using OpenQA.Selenium.Interactions;

Regards, qwertzu