better way to maintain the recording

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
will

better way to maintain the recording

Post by will » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:39 am

Hi!

I am wondering if there is a better way to maintain my recording. Here is my situation:
Let's say I have a toolbar on my AUT and this toolbar is an "atomic element" to the Spy. Any buttons on this toolbar can only be accessed via the coordinate on the toolbar. Upon upgrading the version of the AUT, maybe some buttons are added, and some removed.
Currently the maintenance of the recording is a pain for me: when some buttons changed, I need to replay the recording, until it fails on the "button related" step, then I modify this step, play from this step on...

Is there a simpler way that I missed? I see in some other automatic tool, it provides a "Maintenance Mode" to run the test. Under this run mode, when it can't find some GUI element, it will prompt you to point to the correct position, then the test code will be auto-updated and the test continues... I find this very convenient to me...

Could I expect something like this in Ranorex?

Best Regards,
Will

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: better way to maintain the recording

Post by Support Team » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Will,

We are working on improving error diagnostics in Ranorex scripts, so expect a lot of improvements on this front. The auto-updating is currently not a viable option because everything uses generated code which is a one-way trip.
For your toolbar, i suggest using image-based recognition of your toolbar buttons which will greatly increase maintainability.

Michael
Ranorex Team