Browser for Mobile web testing

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
mbabbar

Browser for Mobile web testing

Post by mbabbar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 pm

I am doing an evaluation of Ranorex tool. I need to automate the testing of a mobile web site. I am using an iPad as of now, but also plan to use Android phone, and an iPhone. I went thru the user guide, and it suggested to install RX Browser. Where can I get the install file for it that I can use it on iPad?

Thanks,
Manisha

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Browser for Mobile web testing

Post by odklizec » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Manisha,

Check out this link and follow the steps described in it...
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... html#c4815
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mbabbar

Post by mbabbar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:58 pm

hi,

That's the link i went thru already, but I can't seem to follow them exactly --
Download and extract the RXBrowser XCode project (RxBrowser_413.zip) on your Mac.
>> I am on a windows system not on a mac.
Open the unpacked project with XCode.
>> do you mean within Ranorex or somewhere else?
Clean and build the project.
Either deploy the app from Xcode to the device or create an IPA file to deploy it from a Windows machine to the device.
>>I don't know how to create an IPA file.

Can you provide more basic details on how to use the contents of that ZIP file? I have it extratced on a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks,
Manisha

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:19 pm

You will need an Apple "Mac" OSX-based system in order to recompile the RxBrowser for iOS. You might be able to do this on a virtual machine running OSX, but you will still need to buy OSX. It cannot (legally, at least) be done on a Windows system, from my understanding.

NOTE: this is a requirement for all iOS development levied by Apple, so there isn't much Ranorex can do about it.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

mbabbar

Post by mbabbar » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:22 pm

ok, thanks for quick response.

If I do it for an android phone or tablet, can you please suggest me how to go about it?

Thanks,
Manisha

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 pm

I would recommend that you NOT test mobile websites on mobile devices. For Android, you would essentially have to build your own browser and instrument it with Ranorex. And iOS requires Mac, so that would be a problem.

I would recommend just getting Firefox desktop and installing an add-on called "User Agent Switcher". This will allow you to set Firefox to tell the server it is iOS or Android Browser or Firefox for Mobile, etc. You should see the page the way it will look on the mobile browser, but you can actually automate it without having to build your own Android/iOS browser.

For the most part, if your mobile site is browser agnostic it will work in Firefox desktop the same as it would in a mobile browser.

If you want, you can even re-size Firefox so that it only displays the same page width/height as a mobile device.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

MarkGelazy

Post by MarkGelazy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:17 am

I agree with krstcs. This is a great idea. Because I read some article about testing on the mobile and test failed because of errors in their postoennom browser. So it is better to actually use Firefox.

BOBSpencer

Post by BOBSpencer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:19 am

I also agree great information sharing in here through this RX Browser we are easily correct the mobile website for work in properly.Easily redirect in android and iOS for completely view site.

tvu

Post by tvu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:56 pm

This thread makes a reference to a RxBrowser Xcode project. Is it still available? If so, could you please provide the link? I would like to compile the RxBrowser to use on the iOS Simulator.

I didn't see any reference to the RxBrowser Xcode project from the link mentioned on the thread. http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... html#c4815

Thank you,
Tung

afleitas
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by afleitas » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Hello tvu,

The link for the mobile RXBrowser can be found below:

https://www.ranorex.com/free-trial/
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
-Scott Adams :)

tvu

Post by tvu » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi Afleitas,

Thanks for the link, but the files that are listed there can't be installed on the iOS Simulator. The RxBrowser is compiled to be installed on an actual device which runs an Arm processor. The iOS Simulator runs on a desktop which runs an Intel processor. I would need the RxBrowser Xcode project in order to compile it to install on the iOS Simulator.

Thanks,
Tung

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:42 pm

Hello Tvu,

We removed the rxBrowser Code project from the UserGuide. However, if you send us an email with your name and license key to [email protected] we will be glad to help you to find a workaround. :D

Thanks,
Andy S

tvu

Post by tvu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Hello Support,

As per request, I sent an email in about two weeks ago. I sent another one on Tuesday regarding its status. Can I get a response please?

Thank you,
Tung

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Hello Tung,

We regret to hear that you haven't received our responses. We have replied to both of your emails, but it possible that they are going to your Junk or Spam folders. Can you please verify that our emails aren't being flagged as such?

If they are not in your junk or spam folder, please contact Support and provide us with another email address we can send the requested information.

Thanks,
Andy (S)