BUG 4.1.1: 20+ instances of Excel started when editing...

Bug reports.
carsonw

BUG 4.1.1: 20+ instances of Excel started when editing...

Post by carsonw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:18 pm

... Data connector (not enough room in the subject!).

We have tested this on several machines and it happens... frequently, but not always oddly enough. This typically happens with excel spreadsheets that have multiple tabs (more than 4 or 5).

The problem is, it might happen 10 times in a row for the same test case databind, and then not happen again for a while.

What happens is, once you right click the code module under the test case in the suite editor and choose "data-binding" the cursor changes to the windows "wait" icon and flashes rapidly. It does this for quite a while (minutes).

If you open task manager during this time you'll see up to 20+ instances of excel running. The instances will start and stop themselves (it will go down to 3-5 instances and then up and down again from there).

I'm not sure what other information to provide, as I said it happens often, but not always and I'm not sure what's different. I can say it was not a problem in 4.1 though.

Finally, the databind dialogue (where you can set the variables etc.) will open eventually, it just takes a while...

Carson.

krstcs

Re: BUG 4.1.1: 20+ instances of Excel started when editing...

Post by krstcs » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:30 pm

If you look down a few posts, they already know about this one and it should get fixed in 4.1.2.

Edit: Not my post about Excel, this one: http://www.ranorex.com/forum/performanc ... t5264.html
Shortcuts usually aren't...

monkey2012

Post by monkey2012 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Ranorex generates these excel processes since 4.1.0 but 4.1.1 takes longer and CPU usage hits 100%.
These processes are generated if any one of the following is performed in the test suite
1. Add a new test case
2. Move a test case
3. Add an existing module to a test case
4. Delete a module from a test case
5. Add a folder

If excel is used for all data connectors and the larger the test suite is, you will hit the performance issue and so, nothing you can do except killing Ranorex task

ywang

Post by ywang » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 am

i meat this issue too, while update/refresh data souce, many EXCEL instance were created.
while add/move/delele a test case with data source binded, Ranorex becomes non responsive, and the CPU hits 100%, you have to kill the studio.

neilw

Post by neilw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:28 am

I emailed support on 9th Oct and was advised 2 days later that they currently have an issue with their Excel data connector and they were currently working on this bug and that they were confident this would be resolved in their next release.
As no fix has yet been released I emailed support 21st Oct requesting an update as to when the next release will be available and if it wasnt this week asked if they could provide a fix to me by COB this coming Friday 25th Oct.
I'm not sure how this bug is impacting other Ranorex users but when adding global variables it took 4-5 mins after clicking 'apply' and a further 4-5 mins to close window once I clicked 'ok'. These actions shuold be almost instantaneous and to sit looking at the screen for 10 mins waiting while Ranorex spawns 30-40 Excel processes is not acceptable.
If this bug is impacting other users like this then please email support requesting an urgent fix.
I tried rolling back but it appears once you have upgraded, rolling back has no effect.

carsonw

Post by carsonw » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:35 pm

neilw wrote:I emailed support on 9th Oct and was advised 2 days later that they currently have an issue with their Excel data connector and they were currently working on this bug and that they were confident this would be resolved in their next release.
As no fix has yet been released I emailed support 21st Oct requesting an update as to when the next release will be available and if it wasnt this week asked if they could provide a fix to me by COB this coming Friday 25th Oct.
I'm not sure how this bug is impacting other Ranorex users but when adding global variables it took 4-5 mins after clicking 'apply' and a further 4-5 mins to close window once I clicked 'ok'. These actions shuold be almost instantaneous and to sit looking at the screen for 10 mins waiting while Ranorex spawns 30-40 Excel processes is not acceptable.
If this bug is impacting other users like this then please email support requesting an urgent fix.
I tried rolling back but it appears once you have upgraded, rolling back has no effect.
I rolled back to the previous release on one of our test machines, and the problem was not present, so I'm not sure why it still would be for you.

I'm sure many people have emailed support about this - I have done the same :)

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:52 am

Hi,

We are aware that this is a critical bug for many of our customers and we do our best to release the new version as soon as possible!
Thank you for your patience!

Regards,
Markus