Build errors when switching between solutions.

Ask general questions here.
dmconsulting1

Build errors when switching between solutions.

Post by dmconsulting1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:29 pm

I have a solution in 2 directories. One is my WIP, the other it cloned master build. If I close one solution and open the other, I sometimes get build errors about repo items missing or recordings missing but referenced. If I close Studio and reopen, it usually corrects the issue.

So should I close and reopen Studio when switching between solutions? Or is this an issue with Studio using the wrong repository for the loaded solution? It's pretty unnerving when I try to go back to what I was working on before and it has a bunch of errors that weren't there when I closed it.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Build errors when switching between solutions.

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:05 pm

Hi,

Are you sure there are no linked files between these two solutions? If both solutions are stored in different folders and all modules are linked to their own solutions, you should definitely not get such errors? So please make sure that each solution uses it's own files.

For example, try to rename (or completely delete) one of both solutions and try to open the remaining one. If you get some errors, then there is definitely something mixed up? Maybe someone simply saved newly created recordings or repo elements in wrong solution or referenced files from each other solution? And then if some files were deleted in other solution, you getting these errors, because the files are actually missing? ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

dmconsulting1

Post by dmconsulting1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:12 pm

What's odd is closing Studio and reopening it, then opening the solution from the File menu (not the quick links on the left when Studio loads) resolves it. It seems like something isn't unloading from the previous or something isn't loading in the new.

I blow away my cloned master directory each time. I do move files from WIP to Master but I do it in Studio and I say to copy not link.

I will keep an eye out to see if I can recreate it consistently. For now I have quit using the links to previous solutions and used File menu so I know I am pointing to the right one to start with.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Hello dmconsulting1,

As odklizec has stated it does seem like files may be shared/in use during the transition from one solution to the other. I was not able to reproduce this issue on my end when I tried to simulate your setup. If you would like to provide more information or perhaps a way to reliably reproduce the issue we will be more than happy to investigate in a support ticket.

https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/

Regards,
Sean

dmconsulting1

Post by dmconsulting1 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:25 pm

It doesn't happen all the time, but I have seen it now happen within a solution as well. The next time it happens, I will get some more information. Usually I can clean and rebuild without issue. It's just alarming to see an error unrelated to the change come up. Usually regarding a missing repository reference.

dmconsulting1

Post by dmconsulting1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Here it is. Notice the build error, but the item exists in the repo as you can clearly see in the picture. If I close studio and reopen and reopen the solution, it will build (usually) just fine. But nothing changed in this repo or this recording, I am working on Enable_Barcode_Scanner but it errors while building.

buildErrors.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:04 pm

Hello dmconsulting1 ,

Very strange, I recommend creating a Support Query and include a compressed copy of your solution as well as the steps to reproduce the issue. This way we can look into this issue further and try to reproduce the issue.

Support Query - https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/

Compressed Solution - https://www.ranorex.com/compressed-solution

Regards,

Sean