Build Times

Bug reports.
Gunner1980

Build Times

Post by Gunner1980 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 pm

What in the world is with the build times in 3.0? I am attempting to upgrade from 2.3.8 to 3.0 and each time I build I have to walk away from the computer and grab a soda it takes so long. My CPU goes up to 100% and this is when I have Ranorex running by itself. This same project only took about 15 seconds to build on 2.3.8. The computer I am building on isn't great but it build 2.3.8 just fine. Is this a known issue? Is someone working to resolve this?

Attached are some screenshots of my run time statistics.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Build Times

Post by Support Team » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:24 am

Hi,

this is a performance limitation we are taking care of.
The performance of building your project will be getting better in our next release dramatically by enhancing the automatically performed code generation.

Kind regards,
Tobias
Support Team

Gunner1980

Post by Gunner1980 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 pm

Any projected release date for this fix? This product really isn't even usable at this point if you have a large test suite built up. This is significantly inhibiting my work and I am rolling back to 2.3.8 until this is fixed.

Gunner1980

Post by Gunner1980 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:21 pm

So I don't know what is going on before the build process starts but it seems to be the period where it is generating code. There doesn't seem to be a progress indicator for this in fact my Ranorex appears as if it isn't responding. Is it feasible to add a progress indicator for code generation as well as the build process so we can tell if something is actually happening or not?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 am

Hi,

Yes there will be a progress-bar to send the user feedback about the current actions. This progress bar occurs if it takes longer than 5 seconds, or on rebuild all, or on pressing the play button of the embedded Recorder. In other words, if code needs to be generated this pop up will be shown.
At the moment you can pin the output window in Ranorex Studio. This pad will show you the feedback at the moment.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

Gunner1980

Post by Gunner1980 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:52 pm

What is the ETA on a fix for this? I have been patiently awaiting a new version for over a month now. The product is pretty much unusable while this issue persists. This issue is now affecting my work schedule. When will this be corrected?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi,

We don't want to release a version which isn't tested. The changes we've made, affects the whole Ranorex Solution and therefore it takes time to fix the last bugs. So I cannot tell you an exact date yet, sorry.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

Gunner1980

Post by Gunner1980 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:34 pm

Checking again, I have been tasked to ask every week by my upper management since we pay for support.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue May 10, 2011 11:38 am

Hi,

We are fighting with the last tiny bugs. The version should be available in a week or so.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

Gunner1980

Post by Gunner1980 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:09 pm

any updates?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 18, 2011 8:18 am

Hi,

This week the version should be finished.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 19, 2011 3:03 pm

Ranorex 3.0.2 is available now:
http://www.ranorex.com/download.html

Please, report back if the build performance with large projects is acceptable with this version.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Gunner1980

Post by Gunner1980 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:10 pm

It seems to be working much better for my project now, let me get with the rest of my team and make sure this has resolved their issues as well and I will report back.

Something I did notice though is that that you have report functions in user code with the report function being the last thing that is being done it will not show up in the process dialogue.

For example if I have the following:

Code: Select all

Test()
{
Report.Info("Test");
}
the report will show test but the process dialogue will show waiting 0ms or 12ms or something and will never display the text. These seem to be showing up all over the place and even remain on the screen for several seconds while it is actually performing another step.

If I change Test to this:

Code: Select all

Test()
{
Report.Info("Test");
Report.Info("Test");
}
I will see one test in the process dialogue and two in the report. It seems that if the report function is called at the end of a method it doesn't show up in the process dialogue. The report type does not seem to matter tried with debug, warn, etc. This is new to 3.0.2 and was functioning properly in 3.0.1.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 20, 2011 8:33 am

Gunner1980 wrote:It seems to be working much better for my project now, let me get with the rest of my team and make sure this has resolved their issues as well and I will report back.
Great, awaiting your response!

Regarding the progress window: Each report message will show up as long as another report message is logged. I.e. if a report message is logged at the very end of a test module/case, it will be shown for a very short time, since it will be "overwritten" by the next report message logged. (As you noted, it will be correctly logged to the report, though.) If another test case/module follows immediately afterwards, you would need to have a monitor working at 1000 Hz or more (and eyes with the same frame rate) in order to see the last log line :)
If you want to see that last report line in a module, you can put it in a Thread.Sleep call.
Gunner1980 wrote:This is new to 3.0.2 and was functioning properly in 3.0.1.
The only thing that I know has changed is a performance increase, maybe that's the cause why the next module is now executed sooner and the last report message in a module does not show up as long as it used to.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Gunner1980

Post by Gunner1980 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:29 pm

This build has fixed our speed issue thank you very much. I just received feedback from the rest of my team.

I do not understand the logging issue though, where are these waiting 12ms and waiting 31ms items coming from? See the below video for this odd behavior.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x298 ... eIssue.mp4