Building project Ranorex Automation Helpers is not supported.

Ask general questions here.
sdrx

Post by sdrx » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 am

After numerous issues I deleted my git folder and recloned. On reclone, after building I now get these 2x warnings that are only present on my system. Is there a setting somewhere I need to change? I did not get these prior to the reclone.
Pre-Building project Ranorex Automation Helpers is not supported.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Building project Ranorex Automation Helpers is not supported.

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:21 am

Hi,

Have you tried to remove Ranorex Autmation Helpers from your solution and re-add them?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

sdrx

Post by sdrx » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:28 am

Hello, thanks for your very quick reply. I have tried updating the helpers, and removing and re-adding them but after a build I get the same warnings. I also tried copying the references folder directly from our main location and then get this additional warning:
Found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly. (MSB3247)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:35 am

My guess is, that Ranorex Automation Helpers is set as startup project? Could you please check that there is set other project in your solution as startup project?

BTW, what Ranorex version do you use? Make sure it's 9.2.1 or 9.3.0. Debugging this (any) issue in older versions is just a waste of time and energy ;)
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

sdrx

Post by sdrx » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:39 am

Still currently 9.2.0, good point about upgrading. However, others in the office do not have this issue and are still on 9.2.0.

Do you know if there will be any issues with remote agent compatability or general project compatability if I upgrade to 9.2.1 and others currently do not?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:46 am

9.2.1 should not be a problem. In contrary, there are several 'good to have' bug fixes. As for 9.3.0, well, it's very fresh and there are already found some bugs. But I'm not avare of any remote-related issues? I think it's safe to stick with 9.2.1. At least before 9.3.1 is released, and especially, if others in your company are still on 9.2.x.

As for your Ranorex Automation Helpers issue, if others do not have this problem (with the same solution) then there is most probably something wrong with your solution? Why you not get the last working version from GIT (or whatever you are using)?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

sdrx

Post by sdrx » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:01 am

Hello there, it is just the exact solution from git but it immediately has those warnings even after a brand new git clone. Thought it might have been something local to my system or Ranorex install?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:10 am

That's weird. Well, if the same solution (and the same version from GIT) works for others in your company, then you may try to completely uninstall Ranorex and install it back?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stub

Post by Stub » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Oddly enough I experienced a "building project is not supported" error on our Ranorex solution after I installed Ranorex v9.3.2 onto one of our QA machines. Complete build failure, across every project in the solution. In the end installing the Microsoft Build Tools 2017 solved it for us in our situation. Specifically we selected ".NET desktop environment" and ".NET Framework 4.6.2 development tools" from the Visual Studio installer thingy, although I had already verified that the .NET Framework v4.6.2 developer tools were already installed on this particular machine, via the Control Panel/Add+Remove Programs list. So maybe it added some other missing component, I don't know.

I had also just assumed that installing Ranorex with its early pre-requisites installation would have taken care of this for us, but it proved to be not the case. Since I couldn't find any other mention of this little problem, I figured I'd post this here in case it happens to help anybody else in future.