C# 6.0 Not Available

Ask general questions here.
DavidHay

C# 6.0 Not Available

Post by DavidHay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:52 pm

When I go to project options and try to change the target framework to NET 4.6 C# 6.0 it only gives me the options for C#2.0, C#3.0 and C#5.0. I have C# 6.0 and C# 7.0 available to me in Visual Studio. Does anyone know how I can update Ranorex to build C# 6.0?

Windows 10
Ranorex 7.2

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: C# 6.0 Not Available

Post by odklizec » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid, Ranorex currently does not support C# 6 and 7. You may be interested in these two forum posts:
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/support-f ... tml#p43870
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/compile-r ... t9537.html
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:13 pm

To expand on what Pavel said, Ranorex is build on SharpDevelop 4, which only supports C# 5.0 and below in the UI. This is a limitation that Ranorex can do nothing about. However, you can still open the solution in VS and upgrade it to higher versions, but once you do that you will likely have issues with Ranorex Studio not being able to do code-completion and syntax highlighting correctly.

Honestly, there's nothing in C# 6/7 that you really have to have for writing Ranorex tests. There are lots of nice things, but they aren't necessary.

I have put in a feature request for the Ranorex team to make a VS plugin that would allow us to use either Ranorex Studio or Visual Studio with all the features. You can vote for it here: http://uservoice.ranorex.com/forums/150 ... dio-plugin.

Otherwise, they will be stuck with whatever SD version they decide to use, and they will always be a bit behind. However, even if this did happen, Ranorex may still not support the most current features of VS or .NET because they have a large codebase to maintain.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

DavidHay

Post by DavidHay » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Thank you for the quick replies and the additional information. I am new to Ranorex so this information is good to know. The only C# 6 dependent code we are using is for expression-bodied members. I can change them to normal definitions and be C# 5 compatable

Thanks
David

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah, I love expression bodied code!

Hopefully it won't be long before Ranorex bumps up it's compatibility!
Shortcuts usually aren't...