Can a recording file links 2 different repositories?

Ask general questions here.
Rika L.

Can a recording file links 2 different repositories?

Post by Rika L. » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:31 pm

Hello guys,
can a .rxrec file linked 2 different repositories in 2 different Testsuits(.rxtst)?

My situation is:
I test an AUT with different version. Let us make an example: Version1.0 (V1.0) and Version 2.0(V2.0).
All test steps are same for both versions. But because the GUI of AUT V2.0 is very very different with V1.0, I hope I can let every recording files links to 2 different repositories in 2 Testsuits, repository 1 for version1.0, repository 2 for 2.0. This is to say: when I test V1.0, let all recording files link to repository 1, when I test V2.0, let all recording files link to repository 2.
So I made 2 Testsuits. Because all text steps are same so I just use copy/paste to generate the second Testsuit.
I want to let one Testsuit to link with repository 1, the other Testsuit with repository 2. But I failed.
So I want to know if someone know how to solve this problem? : )

LG Rika

Stub

Re: Can a recording file links 2 different repositories?

Post by Stub » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am

I have no idea how to re-attach a recording to a different repository, but if you were using code modules instead of recordings then you could probably set up a layer of indirection that shifts between two sets of repositories depending upon the AUT, and code through that.

Here we avoided the situation of different UIs for different versions via source control - so we have a set of tests/repository sat alongside that branch in source control, and we just leave it alone other than for maintenance. The latest version of our app gets all the updates and changes moving forwards. Sometimes the UI changes are significant between versions, other times not so much, but I'm always adding new stuff to the latest version.

Rika L.

Post by Rika L. » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:45 am

Hello Stub,
thank you very much for your help! The source control method is a good idea, because it is easy to implement.

And I am also very interest about the 1. idea you said. you meant:
' if you were using code modules instead of recordings then you could probably set up a layer of indirection that shifts between two sets of repositories depending upon the AUT, and code through that ',
did you mean for the solution write a code module?
or you mean for EACH recording write a code module?

And what is 'a layer of indirection'? Do you have an example? I am sorry I am a green bird I don't know what is that. :P

Lg
Rika : )

Rika L.

Post by Rika L. » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:56 pm

Hello Stub,
thank you very much for your help!! : )
Can you tell me what is 'a layer of indirection'? Do you have an example?

Thank you !!
Best regards
Rika

Stub wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:12 am
I have no idea how to re-attach a recording to a different repository, but if you were using code modules instead of recordings then you could probably set up a layer of indirection that shifts between two sets of repositories depending upon the AUT, and code through that.

Here we avoided the situation of different UIs for different versions via source control - so we have a set of tests/repository sat alongside that branch in source control, and we just leave it alone other than for maintenance. The latest version of our app gets all the updates and changes moving forwards. Sometimes the UI changes are significant between versions, other times not so much, but I'm always adding new stuff to the latest version.

Stub

Post by Stub » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:24 am

Just code that chooses which Repo it's going to access. No, I do not have an example as this isn't something I've needed to do - we use different versions under source control.

Rika L.

Post by Rika L. » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:11 am

Stub wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:24 am
Just code that chooses which Repo it's going to access. No, I do not have an example as this isn't something I've needed to do - we use different versions under source control.
hello Stub, thank you very much for your help! : )
I am so glad there is a method to deal with my problem. Thank you.

Rika