Can i automate windows application on Remote desktop

Ask general questions here.
Olu

Can i automate windows application on Remote desktop

Post by Olu » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Is it possible to use Ranorex to automate windows application that sitting on remote desktop and Citrix

We have windows application built and customised for our company by third party company and this application is deployed in Citrix on remote desktop. I have been tasked to developed automated regression testing.

I am recommending Ranorex for my company but want to be sure if Ranorex would recognises the application controls before getting a licence.

Looking forward to your response

Many thanks

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Can i automate windows application on Remote desktop

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 am

Hi,

There is definitely no way to automate application via citrix/remote desktop. You see, both citrix and remote desktop simply shows one large image and so there is nothing Ranorex can track and automate. The only proper way to automate on remote system would be to use Ranorex on that remote system. In other words, Ranorex must be installed and started on remote system.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Olu

Post by Olu » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:01 am

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Yes we can install Ranorex on Remote Desktop as we already have Visual Studio installed there. To make sure i understand your point clearly, please see below steps to the application in question:

1. From my pc i logon to remote desktop called UAT (Visual studio installed there)
2. I click on citrix icon, citrix launches
3. I click on AUT a windows logon pops up, find attached.
4. I logon and AUT launches successfully.

My question now is where do you mean Ranorex should be installed in above step?

Many thanks
Olu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:42 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, it may be impossible to automate windows login started via citrix, no matter if you install Ranorex on target computer (the one started via citrix). You see, Ranorex requires realized desktop to be able to automate desktop apps. In other words, you need to be logged in first.

Your only hope is, that Ranorex installed on remote desktop (UAT) is able to track and automate citrix based app started from this computer. Have you tried to track the login dialog elements with Ranorex (Spy or recorder)? Is Ranorex able to track 'user name', 'password' and 'confirm' button? If not, then I'm afraid, your only hope is using screenshot-based automation. But in my opinion, this should be the last way of doing automation. Screenshot-based automation is quite unreliable way of automation.

Some of the apps I'm automating are citrix based. It's possible to automate certain elements from citrix-started apps, e.g. HTML login dialog. However, certain elements are not reachable at all.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Olu

Post by Olu » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks for your response, I agreed with your points. i'm requesting to get AUT install on the same machine where VS installed, hopefully that should solve my problem.

pmaladi

Post by pmaladi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 pm

hello all ,

i am launching some applications via citrix, after launching it looks like a windows tool that installed in windows, but if we try to spy that window, not able to locate any element in it.

please let me know if we have plug-ins that supports this type of tools or any other way to do it ?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 pm

pmaladi wrote:i am launching some applications via citrix, after launching it looks like a windows tool that installed in windows, but if we try to spy that window, not able to locate any element in it.

please let me know if we have plug-ins that supports this type of tools or any other way to do it ?
Hi Pmaladi,

I am assuming you are talking about a Citrix XenApp, or something similar. This is basically a fancy RDP connection to another machine. You basically only have a screenshot of the application on your machine, which is why you not able to identify any elements. Ranorex must be used on the same machine as the machine running your AUT. If your application is being run on another machine, then so must Ranorex.

To resolve this issue, you will need to either run Ranorex from the same machine running your AUT or run your AUT locally where you currently trying to use Ranorex.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ned