Can I test an iOS app directly downloaded from App Store?

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
sdldevicetesting

Can I test an iOS app directly downloaded from App Store?

Post by sdldevicetesting » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi guys

We are evaluating Ranorex as a candidate for our automation on iOS solution.

We are able to run iOSKeePassSample successfully and have a question.

We do a linguistic testing(taking screenshots for multiple languages) for client who does not provide an IPA file but ask us to download their app directly from 'App Store'

We would like to record a mobile test and also take screenshots but we don't have a custom IPA file.

If we use Ranorex, will there be a way to record and take screenshots for multiple languages with an iOS app directly downloaded from 'App Store'?

Thanks

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Can I test an iOS app directly downloaded from App Store?

Post by odklizec » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:33 pm

Hi,

Nope, you can't test the app without proper instrumentation. In other words, without instrumented IPA, there is no way you can automate the app.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

sdldevicetesting

Post by sdldevicetesting » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi,

we received an .IPA file from client and when I try to add the app via Ranorex Instrucmentation Wizard,

it says "Code signing information invalid. Set correct p 12. password and mobileprovision data in instrumentation settings dialog"

Q1) It seems like P12 Certificate hasn't been obtained. Does this mean that client hasn't done proper instrumentation for their iOS app?

Q2) Can instrumentation only be done on a Mac machine with Xcode when we are not going to receive the xCode Project for the app from client?

Q3) Is there a way to instrument IPA when I only have a custom .IPA file, without having the xCode project for the app?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sdldevicetesting on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi,
Q1) It seems like P12 Certificate hasn't been obtained. Does this mean that client hasn't done proper instrumentation for their iOS app?
That means that you have to enter the path of the p12 file, of the mobile provisioning file and the password in the instrumentation settings.
2017-01-24 16_14_23-Instrumentation Settings.png
Q2) Can instrumentation only be done on a Mac machine with Xcode when we are not going to receive the xCode Project for the app from client?
The instrumentation can either be done in code directly in the Xcode project, or you can simply use the instrumentation wizard on Windows OS, which gets installed with Ranorex Studio.
Q3) Is there a way to instrument IPA when I only have a custom .IPA file, without having the xCode project for the app?
Yes it is possible, but you need to have the mobile provisioning profile and the p12 file as well.

I hope this helps you.

Kind regards,
asdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.