Can Ranorex adequately handle a large web app?

Ask general questions here.
Bandroid

Can Ranorex adequately handle a large web app?

Post by Bandroid » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:23 am

I've been experimenting with Selenium to some success, however it's slow going.

Ranorex, as I've used briefly in the past can put a simple suite of tests together rather quickly. However, I'm concerned about scale-ability. The website I'm interested in automating testing for is fairly large in terms of how much test coverage it requires.

Watching video tutorials on modulating test steps gives me the impression that Ranorex isn't designed to really support a larger size web-app with detailed testing parameters. Organizing tests and test steps in general look very messy and clunky in the UI.

How big are the projects you use Ranorex for and how do you manage your tests and suites?

How do you keep it organized?

N612

Re: Can Ranorex adequately handle a large web app?

Post by N612 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:51 pm

This topic can get pretty deep, but here is a high-level answer for you:

Ranorex at its core is an API library just like Selenium (and can be used just as an API if you want). Because it is ultimately the same as Selenium (an API), it can be scaled exactly the same as any Selenium project. However, unlike Selenium, Ranorex has a ton of QOL features to help rapidly build and maintain tests, none of which hinder its scalability. Since Ranorex is .NET based, the organization of the projects is highly customizable and can be organized like any other .NET project (e.g. use class libraries for shared modules). Ranorex Studio itself is an IDE (based on SharpDevelop) and is very comparable to Visual Studio or any other IDE you may use to write Selenium test.

niaralst

Re: Can Ranorex adequately handle a large web app?

Post by niaralst » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Well I have used Ranorex on a Very large web app in the past, I can say it's the best UI automation tool I've used so far.
it can handle large apps pretty well.