Can Ranorex mobile tests be run against popular Mobile Device Farms?

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
Aracknid

Can Ranorex mobile tests be run against popular Mobile Device Farms?

Post by Aracknid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:29 pm

Hi,

I've only just started trying to do mobile testing using Ranorex, and I've already been asked by my boss to investigate these mobile device farms (or testing labs) that offer you the ability to run tests against real physical devices. As I look into these mobile testing lab services provided by Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and others, I'm reading about how they all support scripting from Appium, Calabash, Expresso, and others.

Will I be able to run my Ranorex mobile tests here? If so, how?

Is anyone else using these services and if so which and how?

Thanks,

Aracknid

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Can Ranorex mobile tests be run against popular Mobile Device Farms?

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 am

Hi,

According to user guide, Ranorex supports Appium via Webdriver endpoint integration:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/web ... -endpoint/
I'm not sure about other mentioned solutions. But as long as they support webdriver, you should be able to create an endpoint?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Aracknid

Post by Aracknid » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:37 pm

Has anyone actually done this and got it working?

I think I'm really close, but I'm not sure what to do at the moment.

Here's what I've done (and I'm skipping lots of details regarding issues I had to over come to get this working...):

- I downloaded Appium Desktop (1.12) and installed and got it running (which runs Appium Server 1.12.1).

- I've got my Android Studio emulator running and I can use Appium Desktop to connect a session to it (which launches my app) and inspect my app elements and record my actions.

- When I launch Ranorex Studio it automatically kills Appium Desktop for some reason...

- If I restart Appium and then try to create a WedDriver endpoint, to http://localhost:4723/wd/hub, It says it is connected.

Here's where I'm lost....

I have a recording module that I called StartMobileApp. It is the first thing that runs in my SETUP section of the test suite. When I open this module, it only has 1 action, which is to start my mobile app. It works if I select the Android endpoint to my emulator, but when I select the WebDriver (appium) endpoint, it changes the endpoint field in the action row from "Current Endpoint (emulator-5544)" to "Current Endpoint (None)" and when I try to run it it says in the report "Cannot start mobile app 'com.MYAPP.mobile' because there is no device with name 'None' in the list of configured devices. "

Not sure if I'm supposed to have configuration for the endpoint. I've given it this, which is the same thing I use if I want to create a session in Appium itself, and works in Appium:

{
"platformName": "Android",
"platformVersion": "9.0",
"deviceName": "Android Emulator",
"automationName": "UiAutomator2",
"app": "C:\\APK\\android-debug.apk"
}

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aracknid

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi Aracknid,

I once used Ranorex/Appium for a web test in Chrome on an android device.
However, via a WebDriver Endpoint, Ranorex can only recognize web elements.
So I guess it won't be possible to automate a real app via a webdriver endpoint in Ranorex.

regards, qwertzu

zivshapirawork

Post by zivshapirawork » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:15 am

Hi I am also going to look into this option, so far we are using physical devices in house. I will update
We are using iPhones, not Android