Can't access Attributes or Children of certain controls

Bug reports.
alen dibra

Can't access Attributes or Children of certain controls

Post by alen dibra » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:05 am

Using Ranorex 2.1.0.6243

Until now this problem has only occured with tables and lists, there has always been the control "Tabpage" among the children.
I have attached two snapshots which should help to understand the problem.

The first snapshot shows the Lotus Notes Workspace which is detected as a "List". All databases are displayed as "Listitems" with no Attributes, except the database that was added most recently. Its obvious that every database has properties and is listed as a child, but somehow they aren't recognized.

The second snapshot shows a Lotus Notes Application. The table has four TabPages as children, only the fourth one has attributes and is detected as a "Cell". The other three have no attributes and their children cannot be accessed.

mvH Alen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't access Attributes or Children of certain controls

Post by Support Team » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:37 pm

It seems like that those controls do not provide much information to Ranorex in terms of its MSAA support. Which version of Lotus Notes do you use? Could you send us a sample application (support_at_ranorex.com)?

All the information Ranorex can get from an application are shown by Ranorex Spy. If Ranorex Spy does not recognize all the GUI elements or the information you need, you can use the Ranorex.Imaging API to identify elements by their visual appearance. If that does not help, e.g. if you need to get data from the application, there's the possibility to either extend the MSAA support of your application or to develop specific Ranorex plugins for that application. The latter option requires good programming skills and additional support services from Ranorex, though (see this thread for more info: http://www.ranorex.com/forum/writing-a- ... -t946.html).

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team

alen dibra

Post by alen dibra » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:28 am

Hello Alex,

I use Lotus Notes 7.0.2.

It's not really about how much information I get, I think its a bug because only the most recent child gets attributes. Ranorex Spy can recognize the controls but only the last one gets Attributes, although they are alike. The fact that this problem occurs only when tabpages are involved also shows that a bug is very likely.

mvH Alen

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:28 am

Actually, I don't think that's a Ranorex bug, since there is nothing special to tab pages in the MSAA plugin. I searched for that issue on the web and found some setting in Lotus Notes 8.0.1 where you can enable/disable the behavior that only the last tab page reveals MSAA information:
http://www.lntoolbox.com/en/notesini-re ... ables.html
I don't know if some similar setting exists for Lotus Notes 7.0.2, though.

To make sure whether that issue is a Ranorex bug or not, I would like you to download the following Microsoft tool and try to use it to spy your Lotus Notes application (or you can just send a sample application to support_at_ranorex.com and we'll try that ourselves):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
If that tool can gather more information than Ranorex, then a Ranorex bug is likely and we would need a sample application in order to fix it.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team