Can't run two client apps with node locked license

Ask general questions here.
merklh

Can't run two client apps with node locked license

Post by merklh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:24 pm

We are having a problem with Ranorex 7.1.1. We have an app that uses Ranorex assemblies to automate UIs on our device. We have node-locked licenses because due to the nature of the product we often can't have a network connection to a license server.

I just upgraded from Ranorex 4 to Ranorex 7.1.1. Technically it's working now but there is one problem:

At test time we run two instances of our app at the same time: One elevated and one non-elevated. This allows us to automate certain things that need elevation. With Ranorex 4 there was no problem but with 7.1.1 we can't run both instances at the same time. The first instance starts fine but then the second instance stalls at the first to call a Ranorex function.

Is there something in the runtime of 7.1.1 that doesn't allow two apps to run against the same node-locked license? As mentioned before, there was no problem with Ranorex 4.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Can't run two client apps with node locked license

Post by odklizec » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:49 am

Hi, I'm not quite sure I understand your problem? What does have the client app (the AUT) to do with the Ranorex license? I mean, are you trying to run two concurrent instances of Ranorex test with he same license? I'm afraid, that's not possible. And it seems there is even a note about this in Ranorex 7.x release notes:
Licensing: when executing multiple test runs in parallel, each run/process requires its own runtime license
So you need to buy at least one more runtime license to be able to concurrently run two tests.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

merklh

Re: Can't run two client apps with node locked license

Post by merklh » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:06 am

odklizec wrote:Hi, I'm not quite sure I understand your problem? What does have the client app (the AUT) to do with the Ranorex license? I mean, are you trying to run two concurrent instances of Ranorex test with he same license? I'm afraid, that's not possible. And it seems there is even a note about this in Ranorex 7.x release notes:
Licensing: when executing multiple test runs in parallel, each run/process requires its own runtime license
So you need to buy at least one more runtime license to be able to concurrently run two tests.
Seems that's new since Ranorex 4 where we are porting from. We actually have unlimited runtime licenses but I'll look into it.