Can the new feature soln settings be used with Visual Studio

Ask general questions here.
sherinjab

Can the new feature soln settings be used with Visual Studio

Post by sherinjab » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi,
We have installed Ranorex 6.1 as a team and would be interested to use the new solution settings feature that come with it, so all of us and the test agent have the same Ranorex settings.
The link below explains it mainly in use with Ranorex Studio but we use Visual Studio as our IDE and execute our tests from teamcity using mstest
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... tings.html

Would we still be able to use this setting? I got hold of ranorex settings file from Ranorex Studio and then added it as a Soln item under VS. It wasn't copied to the output directory of my solution as VS could identify this file type and neither can I change its property to do so at this level.
I can however add it as an external file under the project and change its property to be copied into the output directory.
I however wanted to find out by doing the above, will this soln setting be used for my test execution on the test agent and by all in the team?

Thanks,
Sherin

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can the new feature soln settings be used with Visual Studio

Post by Support Team » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 am

Hi Sherin,

Basically, if you add the rxsetting file manually to the Visual Studio solution it should work.
VS_SolutionSetting.png
VS_SolutionSetting.png (6.67 KiB) Viewed 541 times
Even if the file does not have any properties it is copied to the output directory automatically.
VS_SolutionSetting_Output.png
VS_SolutionSetting_Output.png (12.27 KiB) Viewed 541 times
As soon as this file is available in the same directory as the test.exe it should be used during the test execution.

If you are still having issues using the Solution Settings, I'd like to ask you if you could send me a copy of your Solution to analyze it in more detail.

Thank you.
Regards,
Markus (S)