Can we create own Dynamic Object Repository.

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
joyarjit

Can we create own Dynamic Object Repository.

Post by joyarjit » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:55 am

Hi All,

I have a query regarding Object identification.

Can we create our own object repository and reference that in every test case instead of using inbuild ranorex object repository?

In simple words, I am actually looking to create one code module where i will assign name and identifier(ID, xpath etc.) to each object in my application and then i will refer that code file in each of my test case for performing actions on objects defined in code file.

Regards.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Can we create own Dynamic Object Repository.

Post by odklizec » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:03 am

Hi,

What's wrong with built-in repository? Building your own repository is like reinventing wheel. It's a lot of (risky) work while there is a perfectly working solution ;)

I guess you can create your own "repository" using code (for an inspiration, see the autogenerated cs file for Ranorex repository). But in my opinion, it's a waste of time and resources. I work with Ranorex for over 5 years and I never ever thought about building my own repository solution, because it would be extremely hard to build a reliable and fail-proof solution from scratch.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

joyarjit

Post by joyarjit » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 am

Hi odklizec,
odklizec wrote:Hi,

What's wrong with built-in repository? Building your own repository is like reinventing wheel. It's a lot of (risky) work while there is a perfectly working solution ;)

I guess you can create your own "repository" using code (for an inspiration, see the autogenerated cs file for Ranorex repository). But in my opinion, it's a waste of time and resources. I work with Ranorex for over 5 years and I never ever thought about building my own repository solution, because it would be extremely hard to build a reliable and fail-proof solution from scratch.
You are right that Ranorex has very reliable repository. As I am from Selenium background so this came to my mind if that is possible in Ranorex. Hence thought of giving it a try.

Regards.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 am

I see your point. It seems that you are trying to bend Ranorex to work like Selenium, which I think is not a very good idea. Both tools uses different workflow and approach and I would strongly recommend to first learn and use Ranorex way of storing controls, before forcing it to work like another tool. Creating Selenium-like repository would be too time consuming and I don't think you will be fully satisfied with the result ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

joyarjit

Post by joyarjit » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:24 am

Thanks Odklizec for your help.

I would better learn Ranorex capabilities first before exploring further.