Cannot find element on the desktop

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
ekaz

Cannot find element on the desktop

Post by ekaz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:04 am

Hey guys, I'm genuinely lost at this point.
I'm running Visual Studio 2015 and/or Ranorex 4 on Windows 7 64bit.
I feel like I stumbled upon a Ranorex bug. I'm using a function that focuses on an Explorer window that I need. Function uses a Ranorex repository item and through adapter I can use it to focus on the window. SO all was good until recently this just stopped working. I can focus on my self.folder and all my tests fail once they get to the self.focus() line.

I still don't know how to properly ask questions here, so please help me out, I will provide all info that can explain the problem more. I have a feeling that it's a Ranorex bug, but want to hear some other thoughts...

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Cannot find element on the desktop

Post by odklizec » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 am

Hi,

At first, Ranorex 4 is (I'm sorry to say this) a long time dead horse ;) Even if you found a bug in this version, there is no chance there will be released 4.x patch for it. I'm not associated with Ranorex, just a customer like you. But I'm pretty sure they won't release any new 4.x :)

If it worked before and all of suddenly it stopped working, then there most probably something changed on your PC? Maybe a windows update, new version of .net or VC runtimes has been installed or recent antivirus update killed it? It's really hard to say what's wrong, without seeing your project and AUT, or at least Ranorex snapshot of the problematic element.

What you could try is to install latest Ranorex version (6.2.1) and check if it works (in trial mode)? If it works, then you have you answer...you will need to update your existing Ranorex 4.x with the latest one.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

ekaz

Post by ekaz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:46 am

Hey odklizec, thank you for your reply :)
Unfortunately I'm aware that the v.4 is virtually dead, but this is what I have at hands now... Our company only recently started reviving the automation project, so we use the tools that we had back then when it was created. So I'll have to look for a workaround. Maybe you know of a nice (working) way to make my tests understand "I NEED TO FOCUS ON THIS WINDOW"? I'm using C#+Ranorex and we did update from VS2010 to VS2015 recently, but the problems started way after that. Seems like a RX bug, so I want to know if someone encountered it and has some idea on the fix :)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 am

You know, because 4.x is so old, probably your only hope is to dig in the old posts and try to find a similar issue. I don't remember problem like this to be discussed recently. And as mentioned, without seeing your project and exact code you are using, it's next to impossible to tell what's wrong and how to fix it.

BTW, have you tried your tests on different machine? Maybe it's a machine specific issue?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration