Cannot identify objects of the application by spy

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
EricJiang

Cannot identify objects of the application by spy

Post by EricJiang » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 am

Hi,
Here is an application which's objects cannot be identified by SPY.
It's a web browser like application(It contains url links and buttons to web pages) that Ranorex Spy could only identify the host page but cannot identify the tiles/links of the page.
I used Ranorex 4.0.4 to test on Win7 64bit Pro Sp1, please refer to the attachment for a snapshot.

Thanks!
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Swisside

Re: Cannot identify objects of the application by spy

Post by Swisside » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Hello

I see you are using QT for the UI, correct me if I'm wrong !

Could you try this link : http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... lugin.html and see if it can improve the situation. It seems Spy doesn't recognize the different UI items (they are all called "Element")

Regards

Swiss'
A simple thank you always does wonders !

EricJiang

Post by EricJiang » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Thanks for replying.

I'm not sure, but there are some differences in my condition:
1. When I using spy to identify objects there are no QT warnings ;
2. In your QT condition, the elements could be recognized without a correct Xpath while my elements could not be recognized, only the host page was identified as a "WebViewHost" element.

If you're correct, is it means that I should contact with the developer of the app to find a solution?

Thanks,
Eric

Swisside

Post by Swisside » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Hello

I don't have any experience with QT UI so I cannot help you that much regarding the difference between your condition and the one shown in the Ranorex Tutorial.

One thing I'm sure about is that you need to instrument your application for Ranorex to work optimally. In this case the only way to do it is to ask the developpers.

Regards
A simple thank you always does wonders !

EricJiang

Post by EricJiang » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 am

Hi,

Actually I don't know much about Qt either.

What I want now is how to confirm whether it is a QT issue or not. Would you please provide or figure out a QT application for me to take a compare with mine?

BTW, regarding to the QT test Tutorial, is it all have to do:
1.Ask developer for the 'accessible' directory (and all its contents) from their Qt SDK?
2.For each new build I have to ask for a new one?

Thanks,
Eric

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Hello Eric,

Unfortunately, accessibility needs to be implemented for QT applications in order to access its objects using Ranorex. I would recommend to have a look at our blog Enabling automation for custom QT widgets by adding Accessibility. In your case, I would ask your developers if accessibility is implemented in your application.

Regards,
Markus (T)

EricJiang

Post by EricJiang » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the information of the blog. I'm evaluating the practicability of automation test for the app and now I feel it a little hard to me.

In my understanding, the only way to support Ranorex Spy is asking the developers to implement accessibility for the application by themselves, not by me, correct?
And after that the objects could be identified with Spy directly in the implemented application?

Regards,
Eric

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Hello Eric,

You are welcome :-)

After your developers implemented accessibility, you should be able to identify these objects with Spy.
Please let us know if you experience any issues subsequently.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Markus (T)