Cannot Start Firefox v. 57 (64-bit)

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
Peadar_H

Cannot Start Firefox v. 57 (64-bit)

Post by Peadar_H » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:35 pm

Hello I recently got an updated FF browser (v. 57.0.2 64-bit) and have been trying to run a simple test against our AUT. I've searched other posts in the forum/web, and to try and get it working, have dragged/dropped the Ranorex FF plugin into Firefox to ensure it's enabled. I can therefore track elements on FF 57 successfully. However in a test suite when trying to start FF I receive the error:

"Failed to open URL 'https://test_url_etc." with browser firefox.
Failed to run application 'firefox'.
The system cannot find the file specified"

I found other posts referencing a similar issue with Chrome in the forum which described running Chrome as Administrator to solve the problem. This didn't seem to help my problem with FF.

One thing I will note is that, when FF 57 was installed, for some reason my previous version (54) remained on my machine. I thought this might've confused Ranorex and that the path to the browser might now be different with v.57. Removing v. 54 didn't seem to help however. Can anyone please assist? Thanks in advance, beginner to intermediate level Ranorex user here.

Ranorex: v. 7.2.0

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Cannot Start Firefox v. 57 (64-bit)

Post by odklizec » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:55 am

Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall v 57 after you uninstalled v54? The thing is, that the OpenBrowser action rely on a path (path to browser exe) stored in registry. My guess is, that the required registry key is somewhat corrupted in your case? If reinstallation of v57 does not help, check this post about the location of required registry key and try to create it manually:
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/open-brow ... tml#p30609
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Peadar_H

Post by Peadar_H » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Thank you odklizcek, I tried the reinstall after removing v. 54 but will try again, and then try the registry edit. Many thanks and will respond here with results.

Peadar_H

Post by Peadar_H » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Thank you odklizec! The re-reinstall worked - much appreciated and thanks again.