Cannot update screenshot to new image

Ask general questions here.
Trefor

Cannot update screenshot to new image

Post by Trefor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi,
I am struggling to find a way of updating my screenshots in Ranorex.

I am using Image basic to record my clicks.

I have just been delivered a new release of software to test. The Edit picture has changed. I thought I could right click on the image and update, but it is greyed out. (See attached image).

The only way I have managed to update this is going to the "Edit Action Spot" and capturing a new image. But I then need to update every other reference of "Edit" screenshot to the new screenshot and I have used "Edit" a lot and it will take me too long to update all of the references to the new screenshot. I was hoping to only update this screenshot once, but it wont let me.

I'm new to using ranorex. Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks if you can help,

Regards,
Trefor

Ranorex Version :- 7.1.2+git.f1b94cb3
Attachments
Update screenshot.jpg
Update greyed out
Update screenshot.jpg (76.3 KiB) Viewed 364 times

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Cannot update screenshot to new image

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Hi,

If I understand you right, you are automating your app using image-based recording? I'm sorry to say this, but this is a very bad approach. The image-based automation should be used ONLY in case there is absolutely no other way to identify individual UI elements using Ranorex xpaths. You see, image-based automation is least reliable and most difficult to maintain kind automation. And this what you just found out in the hard way. Even small changes in UI (color, style, size,...) may result in the need to completely overhaul your library of screenshots. I would really recommend to stop using image-based automation and use xpath-based repository instead.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Trefor

Post by Trefor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Thanks for your reply odklizec,

Yes, I did not want to go down the route of Image based. But the app is write by another supplier and using Ranorex I can not identify the individual UI elements! :(

I am doing exactly that! After each release, I have to go into every script and manually update. I've spent three days just updated 1 script. I have another 7 to do :cry:

I just thought there was an easier way. Thanks, Trefor

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Trefor, what technology is your system under test (SUT) built on? WPF, Java, HTML, Flash, etc.

There are very few technologies on a Windows system that Ranorex cannot get at least a little bit of information from for identification and automation.

If I were you, and if I could find no way to make Ranorex work normally with your SUT, I would explain the issue to my manager and show them that in this situation automation is actually taking longer than manual testing. The is one of those times where, if Ranorex can't identify elements at all, it probably makes more sense to NOT use automation because of the upkeep required.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:47 pm

One more thing you can try is GDI capture list, as described here...
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/tec ... plications

It's not ideal solution and definitely not something I would like to use on a daily basis. But it's way better than screenshot-based automation :)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Trefor

Post by Trefor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:46 pm

I have been told the application was writting in Visual C++

Unfortunately, I have no control over how the developers code the system. I would have thought that Ranorex could see all item, but in this system it is not the case. :(

I will have a look at GDI capture list and see if that helps.