Cannot Validate Using Spy Form Hierarchy

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
craig.hoy

Cannot Validate Using Spy Form Hierarchy

Post by craig.hoy » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:29 am

To Whom It May Concern
I am using Spy to try to diagnose an issue to do with DevExpress controls not being recognised by Ranorex (whereas Microsoft Windows Forms controls are being recognised) but cannot validate the hierarchy and as such I cannot create a snapshot to provide to the Ranorex Support team so they can make a recommendation for a solution to the DevExpress controls issue. I am wondering if anyone has had the same issue and how did you resolve it?

Thanking you in advance!

yours sincerely

Craig Hoy

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Cannot Validate Using Spy Form Hierarchy

Post by odklizec » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:41 am

Hi,

What do you mean exactly by 'cannot validate the hierarchy'? If Ranorex Spy cannot recognize some controls, then what you should try is MS Inspect tool. If MS Inspect tool cannot recognize the control(s) either, then there is most probably nothing Ranorex can do about this. The control is probably not written with accessibility in mind and therefore not traceable by Ranorex. Sadly, this is a known issue with many DevExpress controls. In such cases, the only known option workaround is to use GDI capture approach. Sadly, from my personal experience with GDI capture, this solution is only workaround and it's not very useful for complicated controls like grids, tree controls and so on.

BTW, you forgot to mention your Ranorex version. If you are using something older than 9.0.1, please update Ranorex and try to reproduce your problem again. But as mentioned, if MS Inspect cannot recognize the control too, then you are, most probably, out of luck and GDI capture list is your only hope.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration