Cant access old reference project in New Ranorex 9.0

Ask general questions here.
theraviz

Cant access old reference project in New Ranorex 9.0

Post by theraviz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:39 am

Hello,

I have Two PCs one with Ranorex 8.3.0 and the other with 9.0.1

I have 2 old solutions in Old PC and 1 new solution in New PC.

I am using projects from one of the old solutions as reusuable projects and accessing this project from the second old solution.

Now when I access the reusable project in new Ranorex version I am not able to retrieve all the functions of the old Ranorex reusable project. Only limited functions are accessible. New reusable functions are not at all accessible in the new Ranorex version.

As a work around I have opened the old reusable solution in the new Ranorex version and performed build and then took this application file as

reference in the new Ranorex solution. Still the same behavior.

Please help.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Cant access old reference project in New Ranorex 9.0

Post by odklizec » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 am

Hi,

You must definitely rebuild all old (8.x) projects shared with new projects (9.x). Ranorex 9.x projects will not work with 8.x projects. If the problem continue to happen even after rebuilding 8.x project with 9.x, then your 'old' project most probably requires some adaptations, maybe related to 9.x breaking changes? Have you read the 9.0.0 and 9.0.1 release notes?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

theraviz

Post by theraviz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:59 am

Hi, Thanks for the reply

Can you please specify what all adaptation required? I could'nt find anything helpful in the release notes. I have performed the complete rebuild but no help.

And does it mean that everytime a new ranorex version is released we will face issues with old projects even after performing build in the new version?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 am

Hi,

Sadly, without seeing both your projects and knowing exact issue (error message) you are facing, it's impossible to tell what's wrong and what adaptations either of your projects require. You should definitely not experience similar problems after each new version. And as mentioned, it's hard to tell what's wrong now? Typically, problems could happen if there are mentioned some breaking changes in release notes. Then yes, simple rebuild may not be enough. Usually, things like that happen, if Ranorex folks remove/change a public method or if project uses an internal API, which is not meant to be used publicly and which could change without warning.

As you mentioned in your post, only some reusable functions are available. How are declared the inaccessible functions/methods (just Public or Public Static)?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

theraviz

Post by theraviz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 am

Hi,

All the methods are public void. Those reusable methods of old version which were there before the updation of new ranorex version are still accessible in the new version.

If I write a new reusable function in the old solution in either new or old ranorex version is not able to access in the new solution of the new ranorex version.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 am

That's really weird. It sounds like something is corrupted in old/updated project? I think it would be better to contact directly Ranorex support, via their support form, and provide them with both projects for review.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

theraviz

Post by theraviz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:26 am

Sure. Thank you.