Change Data Source in Ranorex Testsuite Runner.

Bug reports.
valentin

Change Data Source in Ranorex Testsuite Runner.

Post by valentin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:38 pm

You cann't change Data Source of Test Cases in Ranorex Testsuite Runner.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Change Data Source in Ranorex Testsuite Runner.

Post by Support Team » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:46 am

This is actually not a bug but by design. The Test Suite Runner only allows to change the test cases to run.
I added your suggestion as a feature request to our database, so we are going to discuss whether we extend the functionality in the Test Suite Runner.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

valentin

Post by valentin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:22 pm

It also useful, to be able to change Global Params of Test Suite in different Test Run.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 am

I noted that down for discussion, too.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

mscirri

Post by mscirri » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:44 pm

For what it is worth I have a similar need here is my story:

I created a test case for each piece of functionality that I want to test (which is usually a new form in my WinForms app). I am using Excel for test driven data. Each test case points to the same Excel file but a separate worksheet which contains data specific to the associated function (form).

My issue is that I have 2 spreadsheets of data as there are 2 clients that I need to automate configuring in our system (that is what my test suite does, creates a new "client" and then configures it). Instead of having to put everything in a single sheet and then go through the steps of selecting the correct client at the beginning of each test case I created 2 spreadsheets so that I could manage what client is created through automation by switching the data sources to point to the different spreadsheets.

Each tester is going to have their own set of data for this and other test suites (as we move forward). That data will be in a consistent format as I am giving them a template to fill out for their test data but if they can't easily switch which Excel file they want to use for testing then I am going to have to rethink how we approach this.

Basically we need this to be as quick and seamless as possible. We are up against the clock so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are still in the evaluation phase of this product but I hope that it can do what we need it to do as it will save us a lot of time and is relatively easy to use.

Thanks,
Marc

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi Marc,

I am not sure I completely got your point.
There shouldn't be a problem when selecting another data source representing another excel sheet with Ranorex Studio. You can easily select another data connector.
Do you face any issues when you do so?

Regards,
Markus

mscirri

Post by mscirri » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm

My QA folks cannot when using the test runner license.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:07 pm

As Alex said further up in the thread, Test Suite Runner is not designed to allow changing data sources. This must be done in Ranorex Studio. Test Suite Runner only allows you to change which test cases are run.

I would suggest that you look into using a relational database platform (SQL Server Express is free and integrates with Ranorex) for your data management instead of Excel. This would allow you to configure what data goes to which person at run-time using queries and stored procedures.

You could also point the data source in Ranorex at a generic location (C:\MyTestData.xlsx) and have each person place their data in that location with the specified file name. Ranorex should pick up that file at run-time. However, in the long-run this will be much more difficult to manage than just using an actual database.
Shortcuts usually aren't...