Change Logs folder

Ask general questions here.
sarahw

Change Logs folder

Post by sarahw » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Is it possible to change the location of the general logs folder? Mine is currently in:
Documents\Ranorex\Logs

But I would rather it went elsewhere as everything in my Documents folder gets backed up to OneDrive and I really don't need all these logs up there.

I've looked everywhere I can think of in the UI but I can't find anywhere to change it so far.

Thanks in advance.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Change Logs folder

Post by Support Team » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi sarahw,

You can modify the trace log save directory in the nlog.config files located throughout the Ranorex installation directory by opening the file in Notepad and editing the target filename and archiveFileName properties (seen below).

Default File Locations:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 8.2\Bin\NLog.config
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 8.2\Bin\x64\NLog.config
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 8.2\Bin\Runtime\NLog.config
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex 8.2\Bin\Runtime\x64\NLog.config

Code: Select all

<target
            name="ranorex-logfile"
            xsi:type="File"
         🢂 fileName="${specialfolder:folder=MyDocuments}/Ranorex/Logs/${processname}.log"
            encoding="utf-8"
         🢂 archiveFileName="${specialfolder:folder=MyDocuments}/Ranorex/Logs/${processname}.{##}.log"
            archiveAboveSize="10485760"
            archiveNumbering="Rolling"            
            maxArchiveFiles="1"
            layout="${date:format=yyyy-MM-dd HH\:mm\:ss.fff}|${pad:padding=5:inner=${level:uppercase=true}}|${logger}|${message}${onexception:inner=${newline}${exception:format=ToString,Data}}" 
/>

Also, I recommend creating a new feature request to have this setting added to the settings interface on our User Voice platform as I can see this being useful. It means more when the request comes from you directly than from me.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Ned