Change test to 64 bit

Ask general questions here.
Ahmad

Change test to 64 bit

Post by Ahmad » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 pm

Hello all,

I use Ranorex test since 1 year with AUT 32bit.
The next version from the AUT ist 64bit. and I want to use the same test in this new version.
Which options should I edit in Ranorex Project? or what should I do befroe run the Test?
Can I use Ranorex 32bit to test the version? if no how can I open the soluation with Ranorex 64bit?

Thank you again for your help and your support.

Regards,
Ahmad

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Change test to 64 bit

Post by odklizec » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi,

You can find 64bit version of Ranorex Studio here (depending of your Ranorex installation location):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ranorex\Studio\Bin\x64
Also, you can set Target CPU in project Properties >> Compiling tab:
Properties_Compiling.png
Properties_Compiling.png (59.63 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Keep in mind that it's not possible to debug 64bit project! If you want to debug your test, it must be compiled as 32bit.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Stub

Post by Stub » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:01 am

We use Ranorex 32bit to test the 32bit and 64bit flavours of our AUT. Have done so for a few years now. There are some subtle differences that have to be accounted for in our Ranorex test code, but on the whole it works well. We haven't yet had to change our Ranorex solution. Ours is a legacy MFC application however, and that's all I've had to exercise with Ranorex at this point.

When I develop the tests I tend to apply them against the 32bit version of our AUT, because Ranorex runs a wee bit quicker against the 32bit AUT than the 64bit AUT, but that's more noticable across the full scope of our tests rather than on any individual test case. But if I happen to be testing a debug build of our AUT, e.g. while developing some new tests, then it becomes a touch more noticable. Combined it does add up.

Ahmad

Post by Ahmad » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:46 am

odklizec & Stub thank you very much. :)