Change test to another PC

Experiences, small talk, and other automation gossip.
tom.nazaro

Change test to another PC

Post by tom.nazaro » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:15 pm

I set up my system test environment on my computer and it is running everything right .. however when changing my test to another PC (Dedicated Test) Ranorex is not finding some menus and routines of my system, thus making the tests not run on that other computer with the same structure. I would like to know how to correct this problem.

Ranorex 8.3
Win7 Pro

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Change test to another PC

Post by odklizec » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:22 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is too little information about your test suite/application under test (tested technology) and exact errors you are getting. So it's impossible to provide a reasonable solution for your problem. Basically, a test designed on one machine, should work the same on another machine. But it all depends on how good is the repository (nicely shaped relative xpaths, without random IDs and hardcoded indexes), the same PC configuration (all required prerequisite libraries installed, the same resolution and color depth, the same version of tested app,...) and so on.

Please provide as much details about your app and exact errors you are experiencing. If Ranorex cannot find some element on another machine, please create and post here a Ranorex snapshot (NOT screenshot) of the problematic element(s), ideally, create snapshot on both machines (where the element is found and where is not). Also, please post the xpath of given element, as stored in repository. Thanks.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration