Changing Repositories

Ask general questions here.
tallahassee101

Changing Repositories

Post by tallahassee101 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi,

I am trying to change the repositories of several tests in our suite. We are attempting to move away from one giant repository into several smaller ones as I have seen suggested several times within the forums. When I change the repository of a recording I am presented with three options: "Link repository to project <New Project>", "Copy repository to project <New Project>", and "Embed repository into recording <Current recording>". I have tried all three options and all result in the actions of the recording becoming unbound. From the description I am fairly certain I want the second option, I want the repo items from the other repository to merge into my new one. When I select "Yes" from the dialog that asks to merge the items into the new repository it correctly merges the items but my actions become unbound ( i.e. "(Item not found)" ) for most of the actions in the recording.

Any help would be appreciated,
Nick

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Changing Repositories

Post by Support Team » Thu May 10, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Nick,

This can happen if the unique id of the repo item changes and it changed when you merge repository items and if the original RxPath of the specific item had changed.
There is no other way to resolve this than to manually drap and drop the not found items from the new repository to the recording.

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team

tallahassee101

Post by tallahassee101 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:32 pm

Markus,

Well wouldn't it have to change when you merge the repositories? It's a unique id and you are making a duplicate copy of the repo item in a new repository ( the one you are merging the item to ). Could you explain how else this would work?
This should be a requirement of "merging". I wouldn't expect a user to merge and then go through and reconnect every single repo item to the new one. Please let me know how we can do this properly so to avoid that sort of painful hassle.

Thanks,
-Nick

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Nick,
Well wouldn't it have to change when you merge the repositories? It's a unique id and you are making a duplicate copy of the repo item in a new repository ( the one you are merging the item to ).
Even when you are making a "duplicate copy", the item needs to have an unique id, so it can't take the existing one, there is unfortunately no way around this.
I wouldn't expect a user to merge and then go through and reconnect every single repo item to the new one.
Not every item, just those ones which RxPaths have changed; there is unfortunately no other way :? .

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team