Chrome is blocking extension when accessing through new domain

Ask general questions here.
andy.simpson

Chrome is blocking extension when accessing through new domain

Post by andy.simpson » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi,

I have recently switch my developer domain and have come across an issue with spy not being able to read dom elements successfully. To resolve the issue so far I have
  • Reinstalled the extension
    Reinstalled Ranorex 9.1.2
    I have attempted to unpack the extension suing the developer tools in, it simply tells me that the application extension is blocked by the administrator (pic attached)
    Have checked the binRanorex.Plugin.ChromeMsgHost.manifest file to see that the extension number is on the allowe origins list which it is
    Added –disable-web-security –user-data-dir= to chrome command line arguments
I should mention that this works fine in the other domain and that the ranorex extension is the only chrome extension installed

and help greatly appreciated :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vega

Re: Chrome is blocking extension when accessing through new domain

Post by Vega » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:23 pm

May I ask how you installed the extension? Are you using the OpenBrowser action to open a browser during your test?

If you did not use the Ranorex instrumentation wizard to install the Chrome extension, I would give that a try. If you are using the OpenBrowser action within your test, you can try disabling the 'Instrument' property for this action (Right click -> properties). By default OpenBrowser will try to instrument your browser every time that action is called. It works great most of the time but I had an environment where it was not working, most likely due to how our environment was setup (lots of security).

Hope this helps

andy.simpson

Post by andy.simpson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:21 am

Hi,

I explored several methods of installing the chrome extension both installing from the chrome store and unpacking from the Ranorex solution itself. These both work fine but it only works on the environment it was installed on

Vega

Post by Vega » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Did you notice any difference in behavior when adjusting the instrument property for the openbrowser action (if in use)? Specifically setting it to false

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:07 am

Hi,

I would be happy to take a look at this issue if are able to create a support query and reference this forum post. Please find the support portal at the below link. :
Correct me if I am wrong, but did you try instrumenting Chrome using the Instrumentation Wizard specifically? I know you mentioned loading the extension from the store and unpacking, but want to make sure you tried from the Instrumentation Wizard. If needed, here are the steps to instrument Chrome with the Instrumentation Wizard:
  1. Close all instances of Chrome and make sure Chrome is not running in the background
  2. Open the Instrumentation Wizard from within Ranorex Studio -> Tools -> Instrumentation Wizard (Instrumentation Wizard can also be found in the Windows Start Menu)
  3. Chose Google Chrome
  4. Select 'Uninstall'
  5. Then click '< Previous' and select 'Install'
Afterwords try opening https://www.ranorex.com/ in Chrome and see if you can track with Spy.

Kind regards,

Jon

andy.simpson

Post by andy.simpson » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:13 am

Hi,

I'll log a support ticket for it, so the add-on has been installed/uninstalled using every method including the instrumentation wizard. As I said it functions as it should on the account that it was installed on but when logging in under a different account it fall over. Its not ultimately a problem for writing the tests but would want it looked as as I figure its going to an issue for remote test execution