CI / Jenkins / Runtime license

Ask general questions here.
SanMan

CI / Jenkins / Runtime license

Post by SanMan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 am

Hi,

some plans now to integrate Ranorex test more tightly to development.

Just a quick question:

Ranorex Runtime license enough to run test (made with Ranorex Studio) via Jenkins?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: CI / Jenkins / Runtime license

Post by odklizec » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:29 am

Hi,

Sure, this is exactly what's runtime license for. It cannot be used for designing tests, just for running them.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

SanMan

Post by SanMan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:15 am

Ok, now first step done. Got the Agent working on VM. (there was some localization issues which caused some problems)

Now have read about "Integrate Automated Testing Into Jenkins" and have some basic questions (no have any previous experience with Jenkins)

-> Goal is that when ever developer makes a new build, some tests could be run after that. Solution is cloud based web service

* I have now Premium Node Locked license (Ranorex Studio on my laptop where I have now created & run the test). Now when purchase Ranorex Agent license, I can configure that after build is done, Jenkins will start the test run execution on this Agent VM?

* Jenkins server is installed and running somewhere. I just need to add the wanted plugins there and configure the addresses and not need to install any other Jenkins "client" ?

* We have a GIT in use. Is this something that could help / be useful when setting up this kind of CI system?

Sorry about my ignorance about this CI process. First time dealing with this and should get this system working

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Hi SanMan,

On your Jenkins master you will want a git plug-in, then you will want to configure the repository url and a Pool SCM build trigger. There are tons of video-guides available on YouTube about this. On the remote machine you can run the test via the Jenkins slave or via a Ranorex Agent.

About the Jenkins Slave you can read in the Jenkins doco or watch some YouTube tutorials about it. The Ranorex Agent execution can be done in the following way:
1. Install Ranorex Agent on the computer that will run the tests.
2. On your Jenkins Master simply configure the "Execute Windows batch command" build step with the "/Agent:AgentName" cmd flag.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
McTurtle

SanMan

Post by SanMan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am

Hi McTurtle,

back to work and fighting with Jenkins ;)

Few questions:

- Is it so that I do not need to have Ranorex license installed on "Jenkins server"...I can just command Jenkins to start test on wanted Ranorex machine?

- And this is done by "Execute Windows batch command"? I just need to type there "[???]" ("/Agent:AgentName") and this should start the test? [???]Should I enter there Ranorex Studio / Agent machine IP or something?

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi SanMan,

The license is needed only on the machine that runs the test. There are some instances when the license can also be needed on a machine that only builds the test, but for that the test suite has to access some internal Ranorex API.

Yes, of course. Instead of "AgentName" type the name of the agent or the IP of the machine. When you were installing the agent, you had to give it a name. The name of the agent is also visible from the Agent itself, right below the title-bar.

Regards,
McTurtle